Menu

Block scheduling or stretching subjects out?

Trying to do planning for next school year and struggling with my 2 older kids.  My oldest is in 10th and my middle son is in 7th.  I am trying to decide is it better to focus on a few subjects at one time and space them out over the year or to have 9 subjects being stretched out throughout the year.  (Of course some things would not be done that way such as our Bible and nature time that we do as a family.) I have always stretched it out but as my oldest is already starting to take college courses where the classes are in shorter more intense courses I wonder if I should let him do all of his subjects that way.  How do you feel about this?  How well do they really learn it?  I am reading too many books and am killing my brain.  Would love to hear others opinions!  Thanks!

It kinda is already split but my question should it be more split?

I guess was trying to make it easier on him and me.  He is taking a pretty hard course load this year and was trying to determine the best route.  AP Latin, Bible and Nature study, PE, will be year classes.   Writing, Music Appreciation, and possibly History and Ethics (are semester college classes), so these courses is what I was debating on:  Pre-Calculus, Physics, Health, 1/2 year of German, Hist/Lit course.  Hope this makes since.  Thanks!

We just had our first year of high school and used the local public school for some of the classes. They use a semester block system (so a full credit in a semester) and it was definitely a learning curve. The block classes take up a larger amount of time per day than I had expected, more than double a regular class in our experience, at least for some.

I think foreign language and math do better as year-long if possible, primarily so that there isn't a really large stretch of time before returning to the next level.

Why so many subjects?  That is a lot of courses.  Is there a reason for selecting those specific courses?  (Why AP Latin and 1/2 a yr of German?)

My dd will be doing French, Russian, and lit as full yr courses.  She will be completing American history, linguistics, and cal as trimester classes. 

• Like 1

I guess was trying to make it easier on him and me.  He is taking a pretty hard course load this year and was trying to determine the best route.  AP Latin, Bible and Nature study, PE, will be year classes.   Writing, Music Appreciation, and possibly History and Ethics (are semester college classes), so these courses is what I was debating on:  Pre-Calculus, Physics, Health, 1/2 year of German, Hist/Lit course.  Hope this makes since.  Thanks!

The number of classes you have listed don't make since. I count 11! 6-8 would be a normal load. Even assuming some of these are only 1/2 credit, I think 11 courses would look very strange on a transcript.

That said, we did most of our classes in semester blocks in high school. The exception was math and foreign language until they switch to doing those at the CC, then everything was in semester blocks.

The number of classes you have listed don't make since. I count 11! 6-8 would be a normal load. Even assuming some of these are only 1/2 credit, I think 11 courses would look very strange on a transcript.

I am only counting 7 with a possibility of 8.

AP Latin  1

Hist/Lit  1

Writing  1/2 or 1  (college)

Music App. 1/2 or 1 (college)

Physics  1

Pre-Calc  1

Bible  1/2 

German  1/2

PE/Health 1

Opt. additional college course:  Writing 2, History, or Ethics.

Debating on what to count the CC classes as either 1/2 or 1 credit it varies I guess if I counted as 1 credit it is alot!  Maybe we should rethink.