Menu

Spanish

tmstranger

We have just finished our first year homeschooling.  My 5th grader started learning Latin this year.  I plan to continue Latin with him next year and start teaching his brother who will be entering 3rd grade. 

My oldest has wanted to learn French since we started homeschooling, but I wanted him to have a year of Latin first thinking it would be confusing to learn two languages at the same time.  I see that many here do more than one language at a time, so we will move forward with adding another language in the coming school year. 

Well, this summer, we decided to host an exchange student.  The young man is from Spain and my kids are both extremely motivated to learn Spanish now. 

What is a good Spanish program?  I see a lot of opinions on this board regarding Latin, but not as many about other languages.  I need some recommendations, so I have a jumping off point to start looking at samples. 

Also, I am confident that my rising 6th grader will be fine with two languages (he did great with Latin), but is my younger one too young to take that on?? 

Thanks for your advice!

We like Duolingo.  It's free, online, has an app, and is quite a bit like Rosetta Stone.  It allows us to "compete" against each other, though, or at least let me check to see who's doing what.  They have nearly all the big European languages, so if your kids like it they can do French, too, without getting a new program.

• Like 2

I highly recommend starting with Getting Started with Spanish. It has free audio files (on the gettingstartedwithspanish.com website), is a really good intro, and good for just about any age. (You just adjust your pace to the kid.)

I puffy heart like Duolingo. However, I always recommend a grammar-based program for at least six months prior to starting it. Otherwise, I really think that for many people, it makes the language seem unnecessarily confusing. But, YMMV.

We attempted Spanish for Children A after GSWS and it went too fast without enough review for us. After having one year of high school spanish under dd#1's belt, it has provided some interesting review/preview moments this summer. (I.e., there is stuff in there that she has covered & stuff she hasn't seen yet. If you can make it work for you, it will definitely give your kid huge advantages come high school spanish. It just didn't work for us.)

[Edited to fix my brainless typo in the title of GSWS.]

• Like 2

Thanks for the recommendations! 

We started Latin with Latin for Children and we did ok, but in the end, we decided to switch Latin programs this year.  For that reason, I really don't want to do Spanish for Children from them. 

I'll definitely give GSWS a good look!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thread on studying Latin and Spanish simultaneously:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/556329-studying-latin-and-spanish-simultaneously-am-i-setting-us-up-for-failure/

(Don't worry, the thread says "just take certain factors into account . . . ")

However you spread the instruction out over the years, your children are blessed to have this exposure, and they will have a great time seeing the connections between Latin and some of its descendants!

• Like 1

We are going to use Whistle Fritz this year. I also really liked the looks of Calico Spanish. The absolute best way for your kids (and yourself) to learn would be to implement a no English at home when your student arrives, except for if he needs help with homework or something or perhaps on Sunday.(Student will get plenty of English at school). Your younger one will probably pick up Spanish faster then your 6th grader! I knew no spanish whatsoever until we moved to Mexico when I was in 5th grade and I now speak it fluently. I truly believe Full Immersion is the absolute best way to learn! What an awesome experience you'll have!