Menu

Art/craft ideas from different countries--- particularly S. America??

Um_2_4

So I am planning a year of Geography linked with art, reading and food. I finished Africa and am working on S America. 

I need craft/art ideas. So far I have making and painting a Peruvian style bead necklace....

Here is my pinterest board so far if anyone wants a peek. It does not include the read alouds. I am not finding much on pinterest. Most are focused on Mexico or central america. I found lots of food ideas though :)

Any ideas/websites????

Let's see...

I'm not craft and I aggressively avoid crafting. I can;t see much of your pinterest and I don't have an account, so sorry if these are dupes.

These little dolls on the left side of the page (scroll down) look cute.

The carnaval headdress is kind of self-explanatory if you get the foam visors and shapes, along with the feathers at the craft store.

Rainsticks?

Paper bowls with Mayan designs.

• Like 2

hmmm, I may do some weaving... or corn husk dolls. But one of the girls in the group I am teaching this to has a phobia of dolls, so not sure about that...

I kind of want to avoid "foam" and paper plate stuff and actually DO more art type things. I was hoping to do an history of art type theme from each continent, but I'm not finding the resources.

Anyone know a site that lists famous artists by country? 

I found one once that listed artists by century, but can't find it again...

For Colombia, probably Botero is the most famous artist.  Here's a link to the Botero Museum in Bogota.  It is on the list of places DD wants to visit. On our previous 2 trips there, we didn't have time to go there. This link is in Spanish, I will try to find an English link for you, if I see one on their web page.

http://www.banrepcultural.org/museo-botero

Sorry, I don't see a link to an English language page, although I suspect they have one.

Here's information about the Gold Museum in Bogota, which was voted one of the 25 best museums in the world, on TripAdvisor, a year or so ago.  This is in English:

http://www.banrepcultural.org/gold-museum

We walked to the Gold Museum, on a Monday, a national holiday in Colombia, from the Planetarium.  After getting lost, when we got there, we learned that it is *always* closed on Mondays. That is also on our list of places to go on a future trip to Bogota.

Note: Both web sites are run by the Banco de la Republica (the Central Bank, like the Fed in the USA) so I don't understand why I can't find you an English language page on the web site of the Botero Museum.

HTH

• Like 1

Pre Colombian pottery! There are lots of great regional examples on the internet of pots and effigies. My kids like to make it with mud from around the house. We have good mud, but it can more easily, cleanly and lastingly be done with clay. 

• Like 1