Menu

History Spine 1800-present - any suggestions?

• 1 year later...

We are using America: A Narrative History by Tindall for US history and still deciding what to use for World History in this time period. I'd love suggestions that aren't the pricey options suggested in WTM. I have BiblioPlan, Modern, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

We are currently on Medieval/Early Renaissance, but for the more modern time frame, we plan on continuing to use Human Odyssey by the K12 people.  Volumes 2 and 3 would cover your time period.  

They are rather inexpensive used on Amazon.

We really like them.  FWIW, I also bought the K12 World History book (which is geared more for high school) and decided against it in favor of the more interesting Human Odyssey (technically, volumes 1 and 2 are for middle school).  I am a firm believer in interesting history books.

We used the relevant portions of Spielvogel's Western Civilization. He also has a World History: Modern Times textbook. I picked it up at a used bookshop recently, but have no experience using it.

We ended up using Spielvogel as well and History of the American People by Paul Johnson. My dd did like Tindalls book better though.  We also used Ambleside Online sources and we used a couple of the 7 Sisters Study Guides.

I've been debating the same question though for 1600-1850 time period.  I know I will use Paul Johnson A History of the American People.  I had my recently graduated son read the same topic in each of 3 textbooks for world history.  He had already told me he didn't like A short History by Harrison I think.  I didn't love Spielvogel.  So far he has chosen(for his sisters to use)  The Pageant of World History over BJU World History and over Notgrass World History.  My goals are to spend two years to hit US history hard with Paul Johnson and just use the world history to keep track briefly of what is going on in the rest of the world.   So I don't need a college text unless it is more engaging and more well written.  If I find something like that I would switch.