Menu

General travel and Colorado specific questions

Danestress

I am joining my best friend's family for the last week of their 3 week vacation in Colorado.

So they are doing whatever they are doing, and then will be in Colorado Springs.  I am flying cross country in and out of Durango.  I am going to rent (have reserved a Mini-van), so I will fly into Durango, get the rental, and drive the Colorado Spring and pick up the parents and two teen sons. We will then take a week to drive back to Durango, hiking, sightseeing - etc.  We all return home from Durango.  I am doing it this way because renting in Durango was much cheaper, and this way I can pick up and drop off a rental at the same airport.

Questions:  Can a mini-van function in pretty much any drrivig/day hiking that might occur?   I am just not really sure what to expect.  Are there scary mountain passes along the route from Durango to Colorado Springs?  Driving from Asheville NC to Knoxville TN is a "white knuckle" event for me.  i guess I just want to know what to expect.  We will not be camping at all mostly staying in "family suites" at hotels  So can I assume day hiking trailheads in these areas will be assessible without a four-wheel drive?  I have actually never driven a mini-van.

I want to pack very minimalist.  We are all just bringing carry-ons, knowing that a minivan only hold so much "stuff."  Would I likely need more than a sweatshirt and jeans?  I am assuming layering is the key, but what is the liklihood we would be needeing more warmth?  We will be in Gunisson, Ouray, Durango, and hopefully will get to Mesa Verde for a day trip from Durango.  If you are familiar with those areas, what would you prioritize in your single carryon?  

i was thinking I would travel with almost no toiletries or cosmetics, and just buy what i need at a drugs store in Durango.  

It is my girlfriend's birthday, and this whole trip is about her, so she is driving the itinerary, but is there anythings we really should not miss?

What is the best way of making sure the rental mini van is actually there and that we are not suck with something smaller?  

Thanks to anyone with input.  I am feeling a bit unsure of logistics!

You have looked at the driving routes from Durango to the Springs, yes?  En route to the Springs, take the southern route east to I-25 and then north (something like 6 hrs?).  

On the return to Durango, heading west to Gunnison and Montrose and then south, there is what I'd call a white-knuckled drive between Telluride and Durango.

Eta, for the altitude, gatorade

• Like 1

That time of year I have packed a sweatshirt and a lightweight windbreaker with hood for rainy weather.  Then if it does get cool at night in the mountains, you can layer windbreaker over the sweatshirt.

Try some Zuberfizz while you are in Durango--a locally made soft drink.

We have driven the area in a minivan, but DH did most of the driving because I grew up in Louisiana and any mountainous driving is white-knuckled driving to me.

Remember that you are at a high altitude.  Drink plenty of water; if you are doing any cooking, make any high altitude adjustments you need to make.  I have dry eyes anyway, but the combination of high altitude and wind in the Durango area has been problematic for me; I generally could not wear my contacts there and had to use extra doses of eye drops.  

There is a Wal-Mart in Durango if you need anything.

• Like 2

You have looked at the driving routes from Durango to the Springs, yes? En route to the Springs, take the southern route east to I-25 and then north (something like 6 hrs?).

On the return to Durango, heading west to Gunnison and Montrose and then south, there is what I'd call a white-knuckled drive between Telluride and Durango.

Eta, for the altitude, gatorade

Thank you! I was thinking that I would drive there and back the same route, but I looked at map and prefer your suggestion!!" The one time, 30 years ago, I was in colorado, we did a pretty high altitude pack packing trip. I was as sick as a dog. I wasn't really thinking about that for more 'on the beaten path" travel.

That time of year I have packed a sweatshirt and a lightweight windbreaker with hood for rainy weather. Then if it does get cool at night in the mountains, you can layer windbreaker over the sweatshirt.

Try some Zuberfizz while you are in Durango--a locally made soft drink.

We have driven the area in a minivan, but DH did most of the driving because I grew up in Louisiana and any mountainous driving is white-knuckled driving to me.

Remember that you are at a high altitude. Drink plenty of water; if you are doing any cooking, make any high altitude adjustments you need to make. I have dry eyes anyway, but the combination of high altitude and wind in the Durango area has been problematic for me; I generally could not wear my contacts there and had to use extra doses of eye drops.

There is a Wal-Mart in Durango if you need anything.

Thank you much for the Intel on contacts/eyes. My eyes are dry and needy even in low altitude humidity. I will carry extra lenses with me, have moisture drops, and carry glasses as well!

• Like 1

For your solo trip from Durango to Colorado Springs, you can go across the bottom of Colorado, avoiding the Rockies: Durango ---> east to Pagosa Springs ----> north to Colorado Springs. Easy-peasy and very pretty!

What to pack:

We each just had a suitcase for clothes and a fanny pack or light backpack for day trips. Definitely take several layers and a rain jacket. And a small collapsible umbrella! Storms blow in quick and dump hard. Also sunscreen -- you are higher up, with less atmosphere, and burn more easily, even though it feels cool. Also: always a good idea for ANY day hike: extra water, nuts/protein bars, small amount of first aid supplies, a flashlight, a lighter, a lightweight space blanket/emergency blanket and a whistle.

Driving:

One thing we discovered: virtually NO rest stops on CO highways! And sometimes it is a VERY LONG WAY between little towns, so be sure to regularly use a gas station or restaurant bathroom when it's available. ;)

What to See:

Here's my list of don't miss sights from our two short driving trips through CO -- all very very accessible by ordinary car, no 4-wheel drive needed; in fact, I think all of these are paved all the way to the parking.

Colorado Springs

Garden of the Gods -- spectacular national natural landmark with hiking trails.

Pike's Peak -- we really enjoyed taking the railcar up to the top of Pike's Peak.

Arcade Amusements -- bring a roll of quarters and stop in for a super-fun afternoon for a "blast from the past" of all eras with hundreds of arcade games. It is in Manitou Springs, which is one of the "outskirts" towns of Colorado Springs, on the way to Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak.

Gunnison

Morrow Point Boat Tours of Black Canyon Reservoir, Curecanti National Recreation Area

Just about 45 minutes west of Gunnison is Black Canyon Reservoir. The US Nat'l Park Service runs 2 daily boat tours of the canyon (90 minutes long) -- rain or shine, no refunds. You must make your reservations and pay ($16/adult, $8/child) in advance. It's about a 20 minute easy hike from the parking lot down to the boat launch site. We SUPER enjoyed this tour! They take you back into an area that is virtually impossible to hike to. (It's all on-boat; you never get off until you return to original launch-site.) We saw bald eagles, deer, and a black bear cub! This is a great easy way to see stuff without a lot of effort on your part. The boats even have wool blankets if you get chilled.

Ouray

Absolutely don't miss: just at the south end of town is Box Canyon Falls, with some short hiking trails in and around, so you can see the falls where they hit the rocks and pound down with incredible force -- wow! -- and you can hike up to the top and look down from a short suspension bridge -- cool! (And I am NOT a "heights" person AT ALL. ;) )

Durango

Well, we like just puttering around downtown; interesting building architecture, great pubs and eateries, a fun candy shop… If there has been rain, the river will be running high enough that you can rent inner-tubes and go tubing on the Animas River. Or, you can just do very gentle hiking/walking on the Animas River Walk.

ENJOY! I'd love to do this trip again sometime! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2

And if you make it as far as Gunnison--you can come see me!

Man! I wish we had known that's where you were, Margaret. We would have said hi! However, DH and I had a the very fun and funky experience of saying in the Wanderlust Hostel (I always wanted to stay in a hostel back in my college days, but finally got to when my kids were of college-age! ;) ), and had pizza at a super little collegiate place with old, high-backed wooden bench seats in cubbies. Made us feel like we were back in college and dating again. ;)

Is it curvy roads you dislike? Do you wish to stay away from narrow roads with steep drop offs or steep roads? The road between Asheville and Knoxville is pretty mild by Colorado standards. The posters offering advice may be telling you about roads that are still outside of your comfort zone.

Is it curvy roads you dislike? Do you wish to stay away from narrow roads with steep drop offs or steep roads? The road between Asheville and Knoxville is pretty mild by Colorado standards. The posters offering advice may be telling you about roads that are still outside of your comfort zone.

I do get scared on narrow roads with steep drop offs, particularly when I am sharing that road with big trucks and, as is the case on part of that Asheville to Knoxville route, there is no division from oncoming traffic.  It's not that I can't or won't do it - I can and will.  I actually did it in March and it was so much easier than I remember - I think because it was day time and there wasn't any fog or rain (or God forbid, snow!).  

But at this point, I am committed. I am glad to be advised of the Southern Route to Colorado Springs.  I will take that path to pick up my friends.  Then we have an entire week to make the trip to Durango, and we are definitely going through Gunnison/Ouray way, but I will have my friend and her husband, and I am going to try to get him on the car rental - I will call Avis to ask them what they need to do that (if it's even possible, since he won't be there to pick the car  up).  I will just have to pray for traveling mercies.  

Really, I am much more worried about being a 5th wheel in a minivan/hotels for a week,, but I am also committed to that - and very excited about being in Colorado for the week  - I am sure it will be worth the driving nerves:)  My DH and I actually did a month of backpacking in the Durango/Silverado area 20 years ago, and it is one of the life experiences I am most grateful for.  We drove from Phoenix, though, and were two people in a small car, when we were in a car, which wasn't that much.  

Oh, and we're in an El Nino situation. Areas that normally see 11" of precip for a YEAR have had close to half that in the last month, and it's still raining and snowing. You can see snow any month of the year in CO, especially on the passes. We're still getting below freezing at night and we're only at 8000'. Bring rain gear. 

If you do get as far as Gunnison, be aware you have to go over Monarch Pass to get out of the valley towards the Springs. If you're not used to mountain driving, it can be intimidating. The ski area has gotten over 95" of snow in the last month. 

We will definitely be in Gunnison, but that will be on the way from CO to Durango, and I will have my friends with me at that point.  Also, I should have said that this is in July, so no snow, I hope.  I thought Colorado had been in the midst of a serious drought, so I guess I need to get up to speed.  This has come up sort of suddenly,  I have long agreed I would spend my friend's 50th with her, but I assumed it might be in the NC mountains or at the beach.  Colorado is a very exciting surprise!

And if I had know, I would seriously have asked about adding a day before I get my friends so that I could maybe meet you and see the ranch I have heard so much about.  Who doesn't want to meet Margaret in CO?   

Thanks for the tips!

I am cutting and pasting this post into an email for my friend.  She's more in charge of the daily itinerary, and this is very helpful!  I do have to say this will be hog heave for her!

For your solo trip from Durango to Colorado Springs, you can go across the bottom of Colorado, avoiding the Rockies: Durango ---> east to Pagosa Springs ----> north to Colorado Springs. Easy-peasy and very pretty!

What to pack:

We each just had a suitcase for clothes and a fanny pack or light backpack for day trips. Definitely take several layers and a rain jacket. And a small collapsible umbrella! Storms blow in quick and dump hard. Also sunscreen -- you are higher up, with less atmosphere, and burn more easily, even though it feels cool. Also: always a good idea for ANY day hike: extra water, nuts/protein bars, small amount of first aid supplies, a flashlight, a lighter, a lightweight space blanket/emergency blanket and a whistle.

Driving:

One thing we discovered: virtually NO rest stops on CO highways! And sometimes it is a VERY LONG WAY between little towns, so be sure to regularly use a gas station or restaurant bathroom when it's available. ;)

What to See:

Here's my list of don't miss sights from our two short driving trips through CO -- all very very accessible by ordinary car, no 4-wheel drive needed; in fact, I think all of these are paved all the way to the parking.

Colorado Springs

Garden of the Gods -- spectacular national natural landmark with hiking trails.

Pike's Peak -- we really enjoyed taking the railcar up to the top of Pike's Peak.

Arcade Amusements -- bring a roll of quarters and stop in for a super-fun afternoon for a "blast from the past" of all eras with hundreds of arcade games. It is in Manitou Springs, which is one of the "outskirts" towns of Colorado Springs, on the way to Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak.

Gunnison

Morrow Point Boat Tours of Black Canyon Reservoir, Curecanti National Recreation Area

Just about 45 minutes west of Gunnison is Black Canyon Reservoir. The US Nat'l Park Service runs 2 daily boat tours of the canyon (90 minutes long) -- rain or shine, no refunds. You must make your reservations and pay ($16/adult, $8/child) in advance. It's about a 20 minute easy hike from the parking lot down to the boat launch site. We SUPER enjoyed this tour! They take you back into an area that is virtually impossible to hike to. (It's all on-boat; you never get off until you return to original launch-site.) We saw bald eagles, deer, and a black bear cub! This is a great easy way to see stuff without a lot of effort on your part. The boats even have wool blankets if you get chilled.

Ouray

Absolutely don't miss: just at the south end of town is Box Canyon Falls, with some short hiking trails in and around, so you can see the falls where they hit the rocks and pound down with incredible force -- wow! -- and you can hike up to the top and look down from a short suspension bridge -- cool! (And I am NOT a "heights" person AT ALL. ;) )

Durango

Well, we like just puttering around downtown; interesting building architecture, great pubs and eateries, a fun candy shop… If there has been rain, the river will be running high enough that you can rent inner-tubes and go tubing on the Animas River. Or, you can just do very gentle hiking/walking on the Animas River Walk.

ENJOY! I'd love to do this trip again sometime! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.