Menu

Homemade bread?

Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade bread that is the consistency of a store bought bread? I am thinking of starting to bake my own bread, but sometimes the consistency of bread I've made in the past is really...dense. Plus it's full of airy holes...so cutting it thin and making sandwhiches out of it is almost impossible. Anyone have a great recipe to share? TIA!

Here's a really good one I've made a few times from the America's Test Kitchen cook book, called American Sandwich Bread (It makes 1 loaf):

1 c. whole milk, warm

1/3 c. water, warm

4 T. unsalted butter, melted, and slightly cooled

3 T. honey

3 3/4 c. bread flour

2 1/4 t. yeast

2 t. salt

Whisk milk, water, 3 T. butter and honey. Mix 3 1/2 c. flour, yeast, and salt in mixer. Add milk mix and mix for 1 min. Knead for 10 min in machine, then knead by hand for 1 min. Rise in oiled bowl 1-1.5 hours. Turn out and press into 9-inch square. Roll up into pan, rise again 1-1.5 hours. Brush loaf with 1 T. butter, then bake at 350 degrees with another bread pan in the over that's 1/2 full of water, for 40-50 min. Cool for 2 hours before slicing.

What a funny request! I thought the whole point of homemade bread was that it wouldn't be the consistency of shop bought! To be honest, though, we found the difference a bit weird when we started, and instead of changing the bread, we changed the way we ate it. Hunk of bread, hunk of cheese, a few olives, and voila! Everyone is happy :) It's a radical concept, but bread does not have to be in sandwich format!!!

:)

Rosie

What a funny request! I thought the whole point of homemade bread was that it wouldn't be the consistency of shop bought! To be honest, though, we found the difference a bit weird when we started, and instead of changing the bread, we changed the way we ate it. Hunk of bread, hunk of cheese, a few olives, and voila! Everyone is happy :) It's a radical concept, but bread does not have to be in sandwich format!!!

:)

Rosie

It does for all those peanut butter and honey sandwiches! The only reason for me to have bread. :)

Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade bread that is the consistency of a store bought bread? I am thinking of starting to bake my own bread, but sometimes the consistency of bread I've made in the past is really...dense. Plus it's full of airy holes...so cutting it thin and making sandwhiches out of it is almost impossible. Anyone have a great recipe to share? TIA!

:lurk5:

:bigear: