Menu

Bible Bee

Has anyone here participated in the Bible Bee and actually had a child qualify and attend the national competition?  We'd like to know more about how much it costs to actually attend the national Bible Bee competition.  It seems quite expensive for just airfare and hotel costs alone.  Any cheaper options?  I'd love to hear your experience with this.

Info is at www.biblebee.org if anyone is unfamiliar with this.

We've participated twice but haven't been to nationals. I'd assume it's like any other major travel event - hotels, transit, food, etc... So, cheaper options would be the usual - drive, camp, food in the car, maybe carpool with another family, etc.

We've loved the Bible Bee and we're looking forward to this year as well. Others might be able to help more with travel, but I'd encourage you to participate even without considering nationals. It's a amazing experience, and I hope y'all enjoy it like we have!!!

• Like 1

FriedClams, nice to know your family has participated twice.  This would be our first time.  I understand they are doing it differently than in previous years, but based on your experience, can you tell me how this works.  The study is from John 1-6 with the test on Aug. 1.  Will the test cover more than John 1-6?  Will the passages they give you to recite (which I guess you don't recite for the test) also in John or another book of the Bible?  And then, is it true if you are selected to go to nationals you get an entirely different set of material to study and memorize?

I have a friend whose family has participated for years and has had a child go to the national competition at least once (in 2014). I'll PM you her blog if you want to contact her with questions I'm sure she'd love to answer. I know she's done some blog posts about it.

I hope I'm some help! LOL!!

This year is SO different than year's past that I really don't have much clue what to expect. :-) I'm hoping it'll be awesome like year's past, but I haven't don't the webinars or anything (a friend has and she's been keeping me up to date).

The study is awesome. I'd say we worked on the study about 20-30 minutes a day. Then, there was the memory component. Last year the rules were much more relaxed, so the pressure wasn't the same. At first we studied the verse and memory time was about 20 minutes. It got longer as we memorized and reviewed all the verses. At the end memory time was likely 60-90 minutes a day (we have the expectation the kids will know then cold, but that's a family thing). The verses are all tied together but are not all from the book studied.

For the test, last year we did not study at all. Zero. My kids studied hard the year before and bombed it, so we just wanted them to complete the study, memorize 100%, and take the test. Ironically, (and because the test was much easier), one of mine narrowly missed nationals. This year they want to study harder and try to qualify. I'm guessing we'll put in a few hours a week reviewing and studying this year on top of the normal study. The test covers the study, the verses memorized, cross references in the study and verses, and "more"... It's very thorough. :-)

In year's past the new study and memory requirements were released to the qualifiers about a week after the test. I have no idea what the plan is this year. From watching nationals they still need to review the summer stuff, but yes, there's a whole new pile of materials (verses, study, etc.).

Hope that helps! I am on my phone so I can't give links, but my blog had reviews and reports from year's past. I hope y'all do it. It's an awesome time of fun and discipleship that you can take as seriously as you want. We've really enjoyed the Bee! Feel free to pm any specific questions. :-)

• Like 1

. . . one of mine narrowly missed nationals. This year they want to study harder and try to qualify. I'm guessing we'll put in a few hours a week reviewing and studying this year on top of the normal study. The test covers the study, the verses memorized, cross references in the study and verses, and "more"... It's very thorough. :-)

I hope we both make it!  Let me know if you qualify.  It would be fun to meet up with someone.  I'll PM as questions come to mind.  Thanks!