Menu

Self Educating to prepare for CLEP and college return

So I am wanting to self educating in a number of basic courses in order to prepare to CLEP out of some basics before enrolling in school. Any ideas on where to start? My degree plan requires calculus 1 and 2 and I have never even looked at the subject so I know I need to spend some time focusing on shoring up my math skills on top of working on other subjects.

First of all,  check with your target university to determine the CLEPS it will accept.  There isn't any point in studying for CLEPs that won't be accepted.  Dd will be working on CLEPs this year, and several of her target universities accept CLEP.  However, they don't accept the same CLEPS, so we put together a list that will be accepted by all of the targets.

As regards math, I agree with the suggestion to use ALEKS math.  Start with Algebra I and go from there.  With ALEKS monthly fee, you can only work on one course at a time, but as soon as you finish/test out of a course, you can move on.  After you finish Algebra I and Algebra II, you can prep for the College Algebra CLEP.

There are many options for CLEP prep, which I am listing in order of cost.  Some people prepare on their own using just a flashcard service or what I call the combo plan or using lesson plans from http://clepprep.tripod.com/cleplessonplans/.  Credits Before College and Dual Credit at Home offer lesson plans. CollegePlus is a complete service with coaching. 

The following is a nutshell description of the combo plan using History of the United States I as an example.  Fwiw, History of the United States I is a good place to begin because it is supposed to be one of the easier CLEPs, and it is usually a part of the freshman, college core.

1.  Purchase a flashcard service; i.e. SpeedyPrep or InstantCert.  We are using SpeedyPrep and like it, but some people prefer  

InstantCert.  Begin working on the flashcards.  

2.  Purchase the REA guide for United States History I.

3.  Set up a binder with dividers for each of the REA chapters.  There are seven.  

4.  Take notes on the REA chapters, and study those notes.

5.  Watch lectures or use another text and take notes.  Put those notes in the appropriate sections of the binder.  Study notes.

6.  Keep working on the flashcards until success rate is 90%.  You can keep notes on your incorrect answers and study those notes.

7.  You are trying to do the above in 4-6 weeks, so daily time will be 2-3 hours.

8.  At about the 4-week mark or when you are having success with the flashcards, feeling comfortable with the material, etc., take one of the REA practice tests.  If you score 70% or above, schedule your CLEP test.  Prior to the test, review the wrong answers from the practice test.  Continue to work with flashcards and study notes.  If you don't do well on the practice test, review the wrong answers, continue to work with flashcards, and study notes.  Take the second REA test.  If you score 70% or above, schedule your test.  If not, retake the first test.  Review and study.  Rinse and repeat.

Of course, the above are suggestions.  As I mentioned, some people only use flashcards and do well.  They don't study texts, watch videos, take notes, etc. Other people take practice tests and study what they do not know.

It's a good idea to group courses.  For example, study for History of the U.S. I, then History of the U.S II, followed by Government.  While you are working on those three, study for American Literature.  American literature is a content-heavy test, so in addition to the REA study guide and a flashcard service, you might want to work with a course like Excellence in Literature American literature or least read many of the covered works.

The yahoo group connected with the clepprep website is active, and the members are very helpful.  Many of the members are guiding their children through accredited, online degrees at a fraction of land-based university costs.  Like the OP, we are using CLEP to eliminate some of the basic, core college classes.  However, if you are student who is eligible for freshman scholarships, check with your target university to understand it's policy regarding credits and freshman status.  All of dd's target universities will only allow the student to bring in up to 30 credits; i.e. AP, CLEP, DE, and/or IB, and still keep freshman scholarship status. Plan accordingly.

The clepprep lesson plans have suggestions for textbooks, but you can also use high school textbooks and older edition, community college textbooks.

Good sources for videos include: Annenberg Learners, The Teaching Company, Hillsdale College for some subjects.

• Like 5

First of all,  check with your target university to determine the CLEPS it will accept.  There isn't any point in studying for CLEPs that won't be accepted.  Dd will be working on CLEPs this year, and several of her target universities accept CLEP.  However, they don't accept the same CLEPS, so we put together a list that will be accepted by all of the targets.

As regards math, I agree with the suggestion to use ALEKS math.  Start with Algebra I and go from there.  With ALEKS monthly fee, you can only work on one course at a time, but as soon as you finish/test out of a course, you can move on.  After you finish Algebra I and Algebra II, you can prep for the College Algebra CLEP.

There are many options for CLEP prep, which I am listing in order of cost.  Some people prepare on their own using just a flashcard service or what I call the combo plan or using lesson plans from http://clepprep.tripod.com/cleplessonplans/.  Credits Before College and Dual Credit at Home offer lesson plans. CollegePlus is a complete service with coaching. 

The following is a nutshell description of the combo plan using History of the United States I as an example.  Fwiw, History of the United States I is a good place to begin because it is supposed to be one of the easier CLEPs, and it is usually a part of the freshman, college core.

1.  Purchase a flashcard service; i.e. SpeedyPrep or InstantCert.  We are using SpeedyPrep and like it, but some people prefer  

InstantCert.  Begin working on the flashcards.  

2.  Purchase the REA guide for United States History I.

3.  Set up a binder with dividers for each of the REA chapters.  There are seven.  

4.  Take notes on the REA chapters, and study those notes.

5.  Watch lectures or use another text and take notes.  Put those notes in the appropriate sections of the binder.  Study notes.

6.  Keep working on the flashcards until success rate is 90%.  You can keep notes on your incorrect answers and study those notes.

7.  You are trying to do the above in 4-6 weeks, so daily time will be 2-3 hours.

8.  At about the 4-week mark or when you are having success with the flashcards, feeling comfortable with the material, etc., take one of the REA practice tests.  If you score 70% or above, schedule your CLEP test.  Prior to the test, review the wrong answers from the practice test.  Continue to work with flashcards and study notes.  If you don't do well on the practice test, review the wrong answers, continue to work with flashcards, and study notes.  Take the second REA test.  If you score 70% or above, schedule your test.  If not, retake the first test.  Review and study.  Rinse and repeat.

Of course, the above are suggestions.  As I mentioned, some people only use flashcards and do well.  They don't study texts, watch videos, take notes, etc. Other people take practice tests and study what they do not know.

It's a good idea to group courses.  For example, study for History of the U.S. I, then History of the U.S II, followed by Government.  While you are working on those three, study for American Literature.  American literature is a content-heavy test, so in addition to the REA study guide and a flashcard service, you might want to work with a course like Excellence in Literature American literature or least read many of the covered works.

The yahoo group connected with the clepprep website is active, and the members are very helpful.  Many of the members are guiding their children through accredited, online degrees at a fraction of land-based university costs.  Like the OP, we are using CLEP to eliminate some of the basic, core college classes.  However, if you are student who is eligible for freshman scholarships, check with your target university to understand it's policy regarding credits and freshman status.  All of dd's target universities will only allow the student to bring in up to 30 credits; i.e. AP, CLEP, DE, and/or IB, and still keep freshman scholarship status. Plan accordingly.

The clepprep lesson plans have suggestions for textbooks, but you can also use high school textbooks and older edition, community college textbooks.

Good sources for videos include: Annenberg Learners, The Teaching Company, Hillsdale College for some subjects.

Excellent ideas, thank you.

Thank you so much for that. The school I am looking at only allows up to 30 credit hours in credit by examination so I am working on getting as much as possible between now and January then doing a semester at the community college before transferring. My husband is going the traditional route and I am trying to both catch up with him and save us some money.