Menu

Where to start?

My almost 3rd grader is homeschooling for 5 weeks now using non-classical curriculum. I'd like to start 3rd grade with WTM style classical education. Where do we start in terms of chronology (history & lit)? I want to start at the beginning. But that means we'll either have to restart in 2 years or skip forward by leaving gaps. What do you suggest? Thanks!

Thank You so much!!!! I think that does makes sense. She moves slow, but we will go at our pace year round. I think even if we skip a bit, it will be better to start at the beginning. The meaningful context is the most powerful draw to classical education to me and I am really excited about it. I love that the concepts are connected and meaningful.

From what you said in your other thread, I wouldn't stress about where to start or try to do too much. Just jump in with something good but not overwhelming for history and enjoy it. Love of learning and enjoying history are so much more important than covering material at this level.

We enjoy SOTW and find it easy to do, but there are many other good choices too, not the least of which is just read lots of library books and do a few projects and field trips.

Thank you, we just got SOTW as a framework and scoured Amazon for some beautiful supplements for history and lit - which we will largely schedule on orders to inter-library loan. I am excited about this approach and appreciate the wisdom of keeping it alive rather than counting off checkmarks.