Menu

Reading program that uses actual books

So it is a little complicated but my dyslexic 8 yr old son will be a 3rd grader in the fall. He is finishing the Logic of English level D in a couple of weeks. He can read Little Bear and Frog and Toad well. He likes reading real books. So I am looking for a program that uses real books. Looked at Sonlights list not sure I love all the books but it may work in a pinch. Is there anything else like Sonlight? My mind is blank...

You might be interested in the companions I making for the Treadwell Readers.  I think your ds would fit into the 2nd reader nicely, and that is the only one that is completed at the present.  I'm finishing the 3rd companion for my ds8 this month.  

What I have done is pulled out the tricky words and made them into word building exercises to do before reading the stories.  (tie, tying, tied, untied...)  When the child then reads the story, all of the words are familiar and the reading is fluent.  Treadwell readers are made of real stories, fables, fairy tales, classic stories, and they progress in vocabulary gradually so that they make for great reading lesson stories.  Yet, they are not controlled vocab phonetically (The cat sat.  I spied a fine wine.  ugh!)  Every story can stand alone.

You don't need the companion to use Treadwell.  Just underline any tricky words and do word-building exercises on the board with him before he reads the stories.  Really, you can do that with any book. 

I use the poetry for copywork and memory work.  Memorizing poetry and then copying it speeds up fluency.  Those words are on the tips of their tongues and then they can more easily hold those visual images of the words in their minds as they copy.