Menu

Wanting Literature-based classical

I'm working on plans for next fall, and I am trying to come up with a curriculum similar to Ambleside Online, but a bit more Classical (I know CM is classical, but I'm not into the narrations and nature study). Any thoughts or direction for someone who really wants to do something literature based? Ideally it would be fairly well-laid out…I don't know if I want to make my own curriculum every year:) We are Catholic, but there doesn't need to be religiously-based.

Thanks for any ideas! 

Moving Beyond the Page is literature based and very well laid out.  It isn't Classical in nature, but I do see some Classical influence here and there.  And b/c I am so fond of the Classical approach, I have easily been able to tweak things here and there to make it work this way. :) 

You might like this site:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/contents.html

The author no longer keeps it up, and I think that she left some of the later years unfinished, but I really like her book choices. This is also the same site with the 1000 good books list.

It is odd to navigate. One easy way is to go to the scope and sequence for each level and then look under the literature lists for each grade.

• Like 1

If you are laying out your own, here are good booklists and resources to "mine":

Free booklists:

Classical House of Learning (chronological/classical)

Guest Hollow (literature-based, with videos/resources aligned to history time periods)

Booklists for Chronological Books/Resources:

All Through the Ages

A Book in Time

Ideas for Books/Resources

An Old Fashioned Education (free)

Sonlight (literature-based curriculum; good booklists by grade, some of which is chronological history-based)

If you want a pre-made curriculum, these are Chronological History and Literature-based:

Biblioplan

Veritas Press (also is classical)

Tapestry of Grace

Pandia Press: History Odyssey

Truth Quest

Great Books Academy (also is classical)

Wayfarers/Barefoot Ragamuffin

• Like 2