Menu

Great Courses - are the audio versions sufficient?

So, I forgot we had signed up for an audible.com "free trial" and now we've built up six credits over the past year of not-remembering-we-had-a-membership.  :glare: I see that they have a lot of the Great Courses on there. So far, my experience of the Great Courses has consisted of purchasing the DVDs and putting them on a shelf, so I don't know why I'm now worrying about the audio versions not being interactive enough. 

I also see that we just missed the big Great Courses summer sale at Audible. :crying:  Should I spend my six credits elsewhere and wait for the next sale? How often do they usually happen? And would you consider the audio version of a course to usually be sufficient, or is the video much more worthwhile?

The only video set we have purchased was for Chemistry.  For most lectures we prefer audio, which is perfect for commutes. I can't imagine not having them!

As to buying now or waiting, it depends on what your needs are and what you would buy instead. You are still getting a great deal even if you use credits. Of course, that's only if you actually use them. Maybe buy one or two to see if they are a good fit.

We prefer the audio for the vast majority of them. Looking at a professor behind a podium is boh-ring. Listening to lectures we can do easily.

Some of them obviously need the DVD to make sense. Like the Hubble telescope one. You need to see the pictures he's talking about obviously.

• Like 1

You'll have to try it and see what works for you. I like the idea of the audio versions, they are cheaper and great for a commute. However, I am noticing that when we use them at home, it's harder to sustain attention when it's just a voice from the laptop with nothing to watch/focus on.  The video versions seem to hold our attention better, even when there isn't much more than the sage on the stage to look at.  YMMV.

Okay, excellent - thanks for all the responses! I wasn't sure if the video versions tend to have a lot of pictures or if it was mainly just "watch the person talking." I was looking specifically at How to Listen to and Understand Great Music and some others, as well. Time to spend some credits!