Menu

I have an interview: where do professional women buy their clothes?

The job I've applied for is in the chancellor's office of a state university, but I would be managing a performance venue and coordinating events. For the interview, I know you're supposed to dress up a few notches, right, from what you would wear day-to-day at a job? Do I have that right?

I would like to look at some websites that sell clothes that women would wear to work, so I can get a sense of what would be appropriate. I think I would buy an actual interview outfit at a consignment store, but I don't know what to look for. I'm an Eddie Bauer / REI / Keen Mary Janes girl, so this is new for me. The very idea of wearing pantyhose makes my toes curl, so I'm going to have to work myself into the right mood, kwim?

As a side note, I've been conducting interviews myself, at my current job, where I have a staff of college students. One candidate, yesterday, had the most massive lip ring I have ever seen. That would have been sorta okay, but she kept playing with it, which was really distracting, and, frankly, replusive. And the cleavage these days! Oh, my. So I have a good sense of what not to wear, based on my interviews this week.

:iagree:

I would add that I don't know a single person who still wears pantyhose, so you're safe there.:D

Oh, thank heavens!

Though I did see a woman at the community college where my son will be taking classes this fall -- navy dress suit, navy hose, navy pumps. Oh. I just thought, I couldn't do it. I just could not do it. That woman must be under duress to wear that get up all day long. Poor dear.

Oh, thank heavens!

Though I did see a woman at the community college where my son will be taking classes this fall -- navy dress suit, navy hose, navy pumps. Oh. I just thought, I couldn't do it. I just could not do it. That woman must be under duress to wear that get up all day long. Poor dear.

Ugh. And there's that woman up there with the yellow shoes. And black hose.

:confused:

Okay, I'm actually sitting here giggling. Imagine actually putting on those black hose and yellow shoes. How would you be able to keep a straight face, walking out of your house in that? How would you keep a straight face if someone came in for an interview in that? "Hello, I really want you to hire me!" Yeah, right, lady!

Yellow shoes?

I think that yellow and black combination has a certain bee-zare appeal. Surely that's what the well dressed Forager bee would wear to a job interview!

Best wishes on the interview! (I'd go with the pantsuit too ... if you go the jacket/skirt or dress route, I couldn't imagine doing it without pantyhose.)

Regards,

Kareni