Menu

Transcripts for colleges that don't accept dual credit

For a college that won't accept college credits if they were used to fulfill high school credits, would it be better to list the college credits in a separate section on the high school transcript and note that they were not used for high school requirements, or would it be better not to put them on the high school transcript at all, and just let the college transcripts speak for themselves?

Even if a college does not transfer the dual credit as credit at that college, you will still need to submit a transcript from the school where the dual enrollment was done for the admission process. ANY courses taken at any university or community college count on the permanent college transcript, and ALL transcripts from these schools must be submitted when applying for admission. It is then up the college to decide whether or not they will accept/transfer credit and apply it towards the student's degree work -- or not.

And yes, either way, you would still list the credits on your homeschool transcript. You can either list under a separate heading, or just note on the transcript which credits were earned at the dual enrollment school. Example:

MATH

course . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . credit . . . . grade . . completion date

Algebra 1 . . . . . . . . .1.00 . . . . x

Geometry  . . . . . . . . 1.00 . . . . x

Algebra 2 . . . . . . . . . 1.00 . . . . x

Pre-Calculus* . . . . . .1.00 . . . . x

AP Calculus AB* . . . 1.00 . . . . x . . . with test score of x on 00/00/00

total credit / GPA . . 4.00   /  0.0000

SCIENCE

course . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . credit . . . . grade . . completion date

Biology . . . . . . . . . . .1.00 . . . . x

Advanced Biology . .1.00 . . . . x

CHM130** . . . . . . . .1.00 . . . . x

PHY121** . . . . . . . . 1.00 . . . . x

total credit / GPA . . 4.00   /  0.0000

* = course completed through ABC online provider

** = course completed through XYZ Community College

BEST of luck in your dual enrollment! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

Thanks, Lori. Yes, I realize that all college transcripts would have to be submitted.  What I meant was that if the dual enrollment classes are not needed for my homeschool high school requirements, then I would not list them as you have above. Just to clarify, I am talking about colleges that will only transfer college credits earned during high school if they were NOT counted toward high school requirements.

I was just wondering whether to list the college credits in a separate section clearly marked as "not used to fulfill high school graduation requirements", or just not include them on the high school transcript at all. I am inclined to list them in a separate section so that the admissions people can see that the courses were completed in addition to those listed as high school credits, but I had read one thread that you had linked in your "Transcripts, etc." pinned thread that described the experience of someone who wished she hadn't listed dual enrollment on the high school transcript at all.

… I was just wondering whether to list the college credits in a separate section clearly marked as "not used to fulfill high school graduation requirements", or just not include them on the high school transcript at all. I am inclined to list them in a separate section so that the admissions people can see that the courses were completed in addition to those listed as high school credits, but I had read one thread that you had linked in your "Transcripts, etc." pinned thread that described the experience of someone who wished she hadn't listed dual enrollment on the high school transcript at all.

I don't know the particular situation of that poster to know why she would have preferred to not list the dual enrollment at all… Perhaps the poster felt the student had too many credits and it looked like an inflated transcript?? If that is the case I would probably drop off high school credits earned in middle school, or credits like PE first… But that's just a guess, not knowing the situation...

But your plan to list the dual enrollment separately is a good one. The point of the transcript is to make it as clear to the admissions office what credits the student has earned and the grades attached to those credits.

JMO, but I personally would not leave off any credits the student completed, whether dual enrollment or other, even if they are "extra" to fulfilling high school graduation requirements; too much potential for that to be mistaken by colleges as though you are trying to "hide" something -- especially if you don't include the dual enrollment credits (even though you would be including a transcript from the dual enrollment school).

In the end, it's always best to speak directly to the school being applied to, and ask how they want to see it. :) That allows you to tailor the transcript to each school. BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

The reason was because the college (Villanova, I believe) did not want to accept college credits that had also counted for high school.

Not being mistaken for trying to hide something is a good point. I also thought that including them separately would make it clear just how much work the student was doing.

Thanks!

I would do a separate worksheet, titled high school graduation requirements checklist or somesuch, and fill in the classes that were used for graduation there. You can have a separate section on that sheet for "extra" credits beyond graduation requirements to show the courses which you would like to transfer in.

Submit that later, when you are ready to transfer credits. You only have to do this exercise for the school you actually attend, not everywhere you apply.

Ok, trying again to post this with a simpler table.

This is what I was thinking of doing on the transcript. The first table would be the high school requirements; the second would be the college credits not used for high school requirements. Does this format look reasonable?

COURSE CATEGORY

English Language Arts

2015/2016 English I

2016/2017 English II

2017/2018 English III

2018/2019 English IV

Mathematics

2014/2015 Algebra I

2015/2016 Geometry

2015/2016 Algebra II

2016/2017 Precalculus

2017/2018 Calculus & CLEP (score XX)

2018/2019 Statistics

Science

2014/2015 Biology with lab

2015/2016 Chemistry with lab

2015/2016 Veterinary Science

2016/2017 Physics with lab

2016/2017 Lab & OneHealth Science

Social Studies

2014/2015 Psych w CLEP (score 77)

2015/2016 SFASU GEO 131 Wrld Geog

2015/2016 US Hs w CLEP (score XX, XX)

2016/2017 US Govt w CLEP (score XX)

2016/2017 Economics

2017/2018 World History

Languages Other Than English

2014/2015 Spanish I

2015/2016 Spanish II

2016/2017 Spanish III

2018/2019 AP Spanish

Physical Education

2015/2016 Track & Field

2018/2019

Fine Arts

2015/2016 SFASU THR 161 Thea Appr

2017/2018

Speech

2014/2015 Public Speaking

Electives

2015/2016 Driver's Education

2015/2016 Bible I

2016/2017 Bible II

2017/2018 Bible III

2017/2018 Philosophy of Science

2018/2019 Computer Science

2018/2019 Philosophy & Worldviews

2018/2019 Theology

Concurrent enrollment (not used to fulfill high school graduation requirements)

COURSE

2016/2017 TCC ENGL 1301 English Composition I

2016/2017 TCC ENGL 1302 English Composition II

2016/2017 TCC MATH 1324 Math. for Business and Social Sciences

2016/2017 TCC SPCH 1321 Business Communication

2017/2018 TCC ENGL 2311 Technical Writing

2017/2018 UTA BIOL 1441 Cell & Molecular Biology

2017/2018 UTA BIOL 1442 Structure & Function of Organisms

2017/2018 UTA CHEM 1441 General Chemistry I

2017/2018 UTA CHEM 1442 General Chemistry II

2017/2018 TCC GOVT 2306 Texas Government

2018/2019 UTA PHYS 1441 General College Physics I

2018/2019 UTA PHYS 1442 General College Physics II

2018/2019 UTA CHEM 2321/2181 Organic Chemistry I/lab

2018/2019 UTA CHEM 2322/2182 Organic Chemistry II/lab

• Like 1

For what you are asking, the sample above looks good for how to list it.

My questions when looking at this would be - did your student really start taking College level English courses alongside sophomore level high school English? If so, why do you need two more years of high school English (if already taking college level English). In addition it looks like a LOT of credits (6-7 high school credits/year each at an hour per day PLUS 4-6 college classes for the last two years - did your student really do that much work in one year?)

Not trying to be antagonistic, just my thoughts when I look at it. If this is really how it was, then I would list it exactly as above (and give course descriptions for both the high school and college level courses).

We actually have only done the courses marked "2014-2015" at this point. I realize it is a lot, and it is certainly subject to change if it proves to be too much. 

The reason for doing four years of high school English along with college English is so that the "high school graduation requirements" would be fulfilled without using the college credits.

ETA: Also, a few of the high school courses would only be 1/2 credit.

We actually have only done the courses marked "2014-2015" at this point. I realize it is a lot, and it is certainly subject to change if it proves to be too much. 

The reason for doing four years of high school English along with college English is so that the "high school graduation requirements" would be fulfilled without using the college credits.

Also not meaning to sound antagonist in my response :), but I have to say that I agree with Julie of KY. This has the potential of looking like credit inflation to colleges (not to mention burnout of the student).

I am noticing the years of when credits were earned/will be earned -- from the Math credits, it looks like 5 years of high school?

Or wait -- was this year 8th grade with the student doing mostly high school level work, and you will "carry up"  4 credits to count towards high school (Algebra 1, Biology, Psychology, Spanish)? With a possible other 0.5 credit OR an extracurricular of Public Speaking.

If so, it would probably simplify things greatly to just call this year 9th grade, and have your student graduate from high school in 3 years, since your student is working at a high school level now. In one of those 3 years, your student could complete 2 English credits, and you've got all the remaining required credits pretty much scheduled in time for a 2018 graduation.

Then your student can move straight into all of those college courses as a college student, and you don't have to worry about dual enrollment and credits not being accepted as dual enrollment. That also gives your student the chance to do some AP coursework and extracurriculars, volunteering, internships, etc. to make your student a super stand-out for college admissions and scholarships, without burning out, and with the ability to explore some personal interests at the same time.

Just my 2 cents worth! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA:

Okay, I just broke down your course list by year, and no, I don't think it's humanly possible for a teen to carry a full load of high school AND full load of science-heavy college courses simultaneously:

2014-2015 = 4 credits (possible 4.5)

1.0 credit = Math: Algebra I

1.0 credit = Science: Biology with lab

1.0 credit = Soc.Sci.: Psych w CLEP (score 77)

1.0 credit = Spanish I

0.5 credit (?) extracurricular (?) = Public Speaking

2015-2016 = 10.5 credits

1.0 credit = English I

1.0 credit = Math: Geometry

1.0 credit = Math: Algebra II

1.0 credit = Science: Chemistry with lab

1.0 credit = Science: Veterinary Science

1.0 credit = Soc.Sci: SFASU GEO 131 Wrld Geog

1.0 credit = Soc. Sci: US Hs w CLEP (score XX, XX)

1.0 credit = Spanish II

0.5 credit = PE: Track & Field

1.0 credit = SFASU THR 161 Thea Appr

0.5 credit = Elective: Driver's Education

0.5 credit = Elective: Bible I

10.5 high school credits -- including 2 math, 2 science, 2 dual enrollment, 1 CLEP

2016-2017 = 11 credits

1.0 credit = English II

1.0 credit = Math: Precalculus

1.0 credit = Science: Physics with lab

1.0 credit = Science: Lab & OneHealth Science

0.5 credit = Soc.Sci: US Govt w CLEP (score XX)

0.5 credit = Soc.Sci: Economics

1.0 credit = Spanish III

0.5 credit = PE

0.5 credit = Elective: Bible II

7.0 high school credits -- including 2 sciences and 1 CLEP

1.0 credit = ENGL 1301 English Composition I

1.0 credit = 1302 English Composition II

1.0 credit = Math. for Business and Social Sciences

1.0 credit = Business Communication

4 college credits

2017-2018 = 10.5 credits

1.0 credit = English III

1.0 credit = Math: Calculus & CLEP (score XX)

1.0 credit = Soc.Sci.: World History

0.5 credit = Elective: Bible III

1.0 credit = Elective: Philosophy of Science

4.5 high school credits -- including 1 CLEP

1.0 credit = Technical Writing

1.0 credit = Cell & Molecular Biology

1.0 credit = Structure & Function of Organisms

1.0 credit = General Chemistry I

1.0 credit = General Chemistry II

1.0 credit = Texas Government

6 college credits -- including 4 heavy sciences (depending on how rigorous, these may really be worth 1.5 credits in comparison to high school, or 6 credits when compared to high school….)

2018-2019 = 9.0 credits

1.0 credit = English IV

1.0 credit = Math: Statistics

1.0 credit = For.Lang: AP Spanish

1.0 credit = Elective: Computer Science

0.5 credit = Elective: Philosophy & Worldviews

0.5 credit = Elective: Theology

5.0 high school credits -- including 1 AP

1.0 credit = General College Physics I

1.0 credit = General College Physics II

1.0 credit = Organic Chemistry I/lab

1.0 credit = Organic Chemistry II/lab

4 college credits -- including 4 heavy sciences (depending on how rigorous, these may really be worth 1.5 credits in comparison to high school, or 6 credits when compared to high school….)

• Like 1

Okay, so here is an alternative that keeps you at a very manageable amount of credits for a math/science heavy student going into a rigorous STEM field, with ability to do more AP. Even if the future school will not accept dual enrollment as college credit, I'd still go ahead and do it for the rigor for the student in the upper grades, if the student is up for it. Also, it's hard to know for sure 4 years out that a student WILL be attending a certain university. Or that the university's policies will stay the same -- they may change their policy in 2-3 years and accept transfer credits after all…

Also, this suggested plan allows your student to use all of the credits earned this year as 9th grade if desired, allowing for an early graduation.

Just some suggestions! It's a good idea to hold very lightly to 4-5 year high school plans, as the student changes SO much during that time. And because you never know what opportunities might unexpectedly pop up in the next 4 years. Or that college admission requirements might change. Or the economy or finances of colleges might shift. Or your family circumstances might change...  :)

BEST of luck as you plan for high school and beyond! Warmest regards, Lori D.

High School Credits Completed Before 9th Grade

(OR could be 9th grade and 11th grade would be 12th grade)

2014-2015 = 4 credits (possible 4.5)

1.0 credit = Math: Algebra I

1.0 credit = Science: Biology with lab

1.0 credit = Soc.Sci.: Psych w CLEP (score 77)

1.0 credit = For.Lang: Spanish I

0.5 credit (?) or extracurricular (?) = Elective (or, part of an English credit): Public Speaking

9th grade = 2015-2016 = 6.5 credits

1.0 credit = English I

1.0 credit = Math: Geometry

1.0 credit = Science: Chemistry with lab

1.0 credit = Soc. Sci: US Hs w CLEP (score XX, XX)

1.0 credit = For.Lang: Spanish II

0.5 credit = Elective: PE: Track & Field

0.5 credit = Elective: Driver's Education

0.5 credit = Elective: Bible I

10th grade = 2016-2017 = 7.5 credits

1.0 credit = English II

1.0 credit = Math: Algebra II

1.0 credit = Science: Physics with lab

** 0.5 credit = Soc.Sci: US Govt w CLEP (score XX)

** 0.5 credit = Soc.Sci: Economics

1.0 credit = For.Lang: Spanish III

*1.0 credit = Fine Arts: SFASU THR 161 Thea Appr

+ 1.0 credit = Elective: Computer Science

0.5 credit = Elective: Bible II

* = dual enrollment

** = consider doing this as AP

+ = or, if for sure going to do 4 full years of high school and graduate in 2018, then bump this credit to 12th grade as a lighter credit to go with mostly dual enrollment

++ 11th grade = 2017-2018 = 6.5 credits

++ 1.0 credit = English III

1.0 credit = Math: Precalculus

1.0 credit = Science: Veterinary Science

1.0 credit = Soc.Sci.: World History

* 1.0 credit = Soc.Sci: SFASU GEO 131 Wrld Geog

** 1.0 credit = For.Lang: AP Spanish

0.5 credit = Elective: Bible III

* = dual enrollment

** = AP

++ = if wanting to graduate at the end of 2017, then do the 2 semesters of dual enrollment in 2017-2018 to knock out 2 English credits in one year, and you're good to graduate:

1.0 credit = English: ENGL 1301 English Composition I

1.0 credit = English: ENGL 1302 English Composition II

12th grade = 2018-2019 = 6.5 credits

1.0 credit = English IV

** 1.0 credit = Math: Calculus & CLEP (score XX)

* 1.0 credit = Science: General Chemistry I

* 1.0 credit = Science: General Chemistry II

0.5 credit = Soc.Sci.: Texas Government

+ 1.0 credit = Elective: Computer Science 

0.5 credit = Elective: Philosophy & Worldviews 

0.5 credit = Elective: Theology

* = dual enrollment

** = consider doing this as AP

+ = if not done earlier in 10th grade

From your list -- Possible Future College Courses when in College

Math. for Business and Social Sciences

Business Communication

Elective: Philosophy of Science

Technical Writing

Cell & Molecular Biology

Structure & Function of Organisms

Math: Statistics

General College Physics I

General College Physics II

Organic Chemistry I/lab

Organic Chemistry II/lab

And you're doing all of this just for Villanova? What if your child doesn't get in or doesn't get the financial aid you need to send her there? Or, if your student's plans change or the school's policy changes?

On the one hand, I totally hear you: my own DD (a junior) is working so very hard at her dual enrollment classes. She's mad that a lot of colleges she's looked at won't accept the credits she's worked so hard for. Some schools consider using DE for both high school and college credit to be "double dipping," yet allow both high school and college credit for AP classes and exams, which is particularly annoying. Other schools don't allow freshmen to transfer in more than one semester's worth of credits from any source, DE or AP. 

On the other hand, the answer would not be to make her do extra high school credits on top of her college. She'd not be able to handle the workload. The first quarter at DE she really struggled with time management. It's gotten better, but before Christmas she did pretty much nothing else, either homeschool classes (we wanted her to do 1 1/2 high school credits) or even just general life "stuff" (keeping up with chores, etc).  She is going to finish a half-credit of high school over the summer and we are not planning any more homeschooled credits, though I'm sure doing college apps are going to feel like a class.  Even if your DD could handle a full load of DE and homeschool credits, I think she'd be resentful of the number of hours per day required for school in that scenario, unless she's extremely focused and ambitious. Teens want to have fun, see their friends, read a book for fun once in a while, etc.

You should definitely challenge your student to the extent of their ability, but if the goal is to max out on DE credits, then you should probably choose colleges that accept those credits, rather than attempting to max out on DE while also doing a full, regular high school program so that all the DE's are "just extras." 

Just my $.02.

• Like 1

You should definitely challenge your student to the extent of their ability, but if the goal is to max out on DE credits, then you should probably choose colleges that accept those credits, rather than attempting to max out on DE while also doing a full, regular high school program so that all the DE's are "just extras." 

Or selectively use DE for added rigor for Science and Math, since the student is going into a STEM field -- and don't worry that the credit won't transfer. The student still reaps the benefit of experience that will help make taking sciences at the university later on go MUCH smoother, if some of the material is repeat. Plus the student develops valuable college study skills while still in high school having taken college science classes as DE...

• Like 1

Wow, Lori, you put a lot of time into that! I appreciate that!

Just for the record, I was considering the non-science college classes to be worth 1/2 credit because they are 3 college credits rather than 4; I am following the practice of my local high school in this. So I wasn't seeing quite as many high school credits as you were. Some of the college classes may be done during the summers.  Also, she isn't really going to be doing Geometry and Algebra II simultaneously. We actually started Geometry this year in 8th grade when she finished Algebra I, and will finish it next year before starting Algebra II, but I thought it would look weird on the transcript if I put it that way.

We actually are aiming at a state university that does accept dual credit, but just recently I was wondering if we should keep options open in case she wants to apply to colleges that are more elite, and it seems that a number of them don't accept college credit that counts toward high school. I felt that I shouldn't do a transcript one way for one college and a different way for another, so I was trying to cover both possibilities.

As for AP, I feel that the classroom setting would be a better fit for her, and it would give her classroom experience before actually going away to college, as you mentioned. But I do see that some schools seem to prefer AP to dual enrollment.

At this point I don't see a benefit to graduating her early; I'd rather take the full four years for high school. 

I definitely hold plans loosely--in fact, tweaking "The Plan" is probably my favorite hobby! (Yeah, I'm weird.)

And you're doing all of this just for Villanova?

No, Villanova was the college that the person whose thread I mentioned above was working with.

On the other hand, the answer would not be to make her do extra high school credits on top of her college. She'd not be able to handle the workload. The first quarter at DE she really struggled with time management. It's gotten better, but before Christmas she did pretty much nothing else, either homeschool classes (we wanted her to do 1 1/2 high school credits) or even just general life "stuff" (keeping up with chores, etc).  She is going to finish a half-credit of high school over the summer and we are not planning any more homeschooled credits, though I'm sure doing college apps are going to feel like a class.  Even if your DD could handle a full load of DE and homeschool credits, I think she'd be resentful of the number of hours per day required for school in that scenario, unless she's extremely focused and ambitious. Teens want to have fun, see their friends, read a book for fun once in a while, etc.

Thank you for sharing your experience about this; that's helpful. I will definitely be seeing how things go and scaling back as necessary. 

She is actually more likely to go with a college that does accept dual credit; I was just thinking about how to keep options open in case she decided she wanted to "aim higher."

Well, I have now remembered that I need to count dual credit as fulfilling high school graduation requirements in order to avoid potentially being charged out-of-state tuition at an in-state public university because of excess credit hours (state legislation).