Menu

OM Health and Fitness uses the EKHO WM-23 heart rate monitor. Is this critical...

...to own for the sake of getting what we need to out of the curriculum?  Amazon sells it for $84.  I need to decide to buy or not.  If there is a cheaper way to get the job done, I would be interested to know.  Dd could take her own heart rate with a second-hand watch if it came down to not spending any money, but I'm not sure that is the intended lesson.  Obviously, using this hrm is important enough to OM to ask parents to make this purchase.  Yet, ouch!  I didn't realize when I bought the curriculum that this would be an additional cost.

I don't know about OM, but I might know someone who--ahem--"helped" her daughter with the workouts for an online PE class that required four weekly workouts during which the student's heart rate had to stay over 135 bpm for a certain number of minutes.  This class required the student to wear their HRM, upload results it stored and then submit screen shots to prove they had done the workout.  Said student's resting heart rate at the time was 40 bpm, and as 135 would have been nearly impossible for her, the mom might have done the workouts for her.  Anyhow, this mom found the constant heart rate feedback useful and extremely interesting for her own fitness.  It was fascinating, for instance, to see that she really did work harder to do the same workout when it was hot and humid; it wasn't just her perception.  Or so she said.  If it were me, I would buy or borrow a cheaper HRM rather than relying on stopping a workout to take her pulse.  It really does provide valuable feedback.

• Like 2

I think you could use the heart rate monitor of your choice, as long as it can connect to some type of software or online to track the data.  Some old models can't do this.

One of my kids will use OM Health next year.  I haven't read all the HR monitor details closely, but skimmed them.  I think the point is for the students to see how their HR data changes as their fitness improves. My thought was to buy the Polar FT4 as it is relatively inexpensive and gets good reviews.  Now there is a Fitbit that collects HR data during workouts, so that is another (although more expensive) option.

BTW, I thought the assigned reading book that tells about students improving their fitness w/HR monitors was interesting. 

• Like 2

No, it isn't necessary and having that specific one is of no importance at all. I bought a HRM for dd (Polar H7) when she did the course. She used it a few times, and then stopped. She is a competitive athlete and couldn't wear it when she was at the gym where she did most of her exercise, so it really didn't make a lot of sense. I love the HRM though and it brought a whole new dimension to my workouts. :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Debbie and TrixieB!

I think dd would enjoy the hrm the more I look into it.  She's looked through the syllabus, and LOVES what she sees.  

We'll probably shop around and read more because we're both unfamiliar with heart rate monitors.  

Glad to hear that it would be ok if we didn't purchase one.  Certainly takes the pressure off.

Both of you referenced different hrm... the Polar FT4 and the Polar H7.  

If anyone can offer suggestions about hrm to research, that would be great!