Menu

BJU History 7th--use videos or not?

Hi, WTMer's,

I am planning to use BJU's history for 7th grade.  We have not used their history programs before, but we have been using BJU Science courses with the DVD's for 6th and 7th grades and love it.

I am a little short on time (especially to teach anything that needs advanced prep work), so I am leaning toward using the videos for the history class.  But then I wonder if it would take too much time to have my 7th grader watch the science video and the history video plus do all of the assignments.

Any opinions?  Recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

I've used BJU history for 5th and 6th. 5th was with the videos and 6th was with only the textbooks. I had him use the 6th grade science videos this year, and he enjoyed the videos for history more than he has for science. All the BJU courses 7th and up require more prep on the teacher, IMHO. The 6th grade and younger TMs are laid out so nicely and are scripted. If you don't have time, the videos would help a lot. You could always try it without and purchase them later, especially if they continue offering the $99 special in December. 

I'm not going to be using BJU for 7th because I was very unhappy with the looks of the activity manual. It is so different from the other grade levels. I actually expressed this to the booth representative, and she encouraged me to contact BJU. I did, and they are going to be revising it and were glad to get my input. I'll probably go back to BJU for 8th and plan on doing the videos. I've joined a co-op next year that includes science, so ds will be doing science there. 

• Like 2

I've used BJU history for 5th and 6th. 5th was with the videos and 6th was with only the textbooks. I had him use the 6th grade science videos this year, and he enjoyed the videos for history more than he has for science. All the BJU courses 7th and up require more prep on the teacher, IMHO. The 6th grade and younger TMs are laid out so nicely and are scripted. If you don't have time, the videos would help a lot. You could always try it without and purchase them later, especially if they continue offering the $99 special in December.

I'm not going to be using BJU for 7th because I was very unhappy with the looks of the activity manual. It is so different from the other grade levels. I actually expressed this to the booth representative, and she encouraged me to contact BJU. I did, and they are going to be revising it and was glad to get my input. I'll probably go back to BJU for 8th and plan on doing the videos. I've joined a co-op next year that includes science, so ds will be doing science there.

Thank you very much for this.

What is so different about the activity manual in 7th that you do not like it? (I have not seen any of the BJU history materials.)

Thank you very much for this.

What is so different about the activity manual in 7th that you do not like it? (I have not seen any of the BJU history materials.)

The 6th grade AM is amazing. It has graphic organizers, outlining, essays, maps, etc. I feel the activities have done a great job in helping ds to improve his skills in summarizing, comparing information, looking at cause/effect, etc.  The 7th grade AM has just a few of those things and is primarily source documents for additional reading. I looked ahead at the 8th grade materials and was pleased with that level. 

• Like 1

What I liked in the 6th grade history AM and miss in the 7th grade are the essay prompts ( compare / contrast essays about world religions), dd learned a lot while doing it. I would have loved to continue her writing to a next level.

And the new 7th grade history start over again at the creation and is not a continuation of grade 6 ( in our case a con, but in your case probably a pro)

So we did Heritage Studies 6 last year and will 'continue' with SCM middle ages, renaissance, Reformation.

No idea if that will work.

• Like 1

What I liked in the 6th grade history AM and miss in the 7th grade are the essay prompts ( compare / contrast essays about world religions), dd learned a lot while doing it. I would have loved to continue her writing to a next level.

And the new 7th grade history start over again at the creation and is not a continuation of grade 6 ( in our case a con, but in your case probably a pro)

So we did Heritage Studies 6 last year and will 'continue' with SCM middle ages, renaissance, Reformation.

No idea if that will work.

I'm using Biblioplan Year 2 and hope to create some of my own activties similar to the 6th grade levels. I love the mapping in Biblioplan. 

• Like 1

Guest lspinkrose

I'm not going to be using BJU for 7th because I was very unhappy with the looks of the activity manual. It is so different from the other grade levels. I actually expressed this to the booth representative, and she encouraged me to contact BJU. I did, and they are going to be revising it and were glad to get my input. I'll probably go back to BJU for 8th and plan on doing the videos. I've joined a co-op next year that includes science, so ds will be doing science there.

Hi. I thought that the BJU DVDs could only be leased. I'd like to buy the one for science. Would you mind letting me know in which website I can find it? Thanks.

Hi. I thought that the BJU DVDs could only be leased. I'd like to buy the one for science. Would you mind letting me know in which website I can find it? Thanks.

Yes, you lease the DVDs or hard drive, or you can subscribe to the online steaming. By videos I meant the video lessons on any of those formats. I did lease the DVDs for 6th science through a BJU consultant.

I'm using Biblioplan Year 2 and hope to create some of my own activties similar to the 6th grade levels. I love the mapping in Biblioplan.

In Belgium we have seperate Geography besides History and just 2 hours history per week.

I think we can do SCM in that timeslot.

(And most of their readings are translated in Dutch so that helps :) )

• Like 1