Menu

ELE or NLE Intro after Lively Latin 1?

Ms.Ivy

From reading other threads it appears that the Exploratory Latin Exam would be appropriate after the Big Book of Lively Latin 1, and then the NLE Intro exam after LL2. (With some supplemental cultural studies). Is this correct?

I am not familiar with either LL or the ELE exam, but I did want to comment on the NLE Intro exam.  The NLE Intro exam is the only one that is really not equivalent to a high school level course exam.  The exams ramp up in difficulty rather quickly.  I personally wouldn't bother having a student take the intro test prior to 6th grade.  

• Like 1

The ELE maps best to Song School Latin-it's heavily focused on the sort of vocabulary normally covered in elementary level modern language classes-animals, foods, family members, colors, etc-as a result, it really doesn't map well to most other Latin books, even those for elementary age kids. Assume you'll have to prepare for it separately, and then be pleasantly surprised if you have already covered a section well.

• Like 1

The ELE maps best to Song School Latin-it's heavily focused on the sort of vocabulary normally covered in elementary level modern language classes-animals, foods, family members, colors, etc-as a result, it really doesn't map well to most other Latin books, even those for elementary age kids. Assume you'll have to prepare for it separately, and then be pleasantly surprised if you have already covered a section well.

Good info!  Sounds like it wouldn't be a good fit for us, then.  I'm not really interested in supplementing that much Latin for a test.  I'm thinking we'll just do the NLE Intro after BBLL 2, around 6th grade.  I may do the National Mythology Exam for 5th grade instead of a Latin one -- seems a little more appropriate for our scope and sequence.