Menu

Classical Music... Narrations?

carriede

I'm clicking through Amazon trying to find some good classical CDs as an introduction to music, stuff like Carnival of the Animals and Peter and the Wolf.

But most of them are narrated! I thought the idea of listening to classical music was to appreciate the music, not listen to a story.

What would you use or have you used for your children? Narration or not?

I also came across the books that have the cd with them for those pieces. Has anyone used those? How'd you like them?

I have these two...

http://www.amazon.com/Sergei-Prokofievs-Peter-Wolf-Fully-Orchestrated/dp/0375824308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431635402&sr=8-1&keywords=peter+and+the+wolf

http://www.amazon.com/Carnival-Animals-Classical-Music-Kids/dp/0805061800/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431635485&sr=1-2&keywords=carnival+of+the+animals

I highly recommend them both.

Some music is programmatic, some is not.  For programmatic music, it is perfectly wonderful to have an *artistic* interpretation of the story.  Especially for young children who are just tasting many musical genres for the first time, the books I linked above are perfectly lovely!

I think it is fine to have these narrated.  Children really enjoy them and see that the music is part of telling the story.

We've never used books I don't think but we did use this for Peter and the Wolf.

In general, children seem to most easily to relate to music that has a sort of narrative structure.  Ballet and opera can work well.  All kids love In the Hall of the Mountain King and peer Gynt in general, and I think there are children's books telling it as a story.  Flight of the Bumblebee goes over really well.  . 

If you ever see one of those "classical music greatest hits' CDs around - and you can often find them used or very cheap in bargain bins - most of those will be very appealing to children.

Classics for Children cd (2 disc set) is the one we have and the one I have included with my curriculum (Year One). I included several picture books to supplement some of the selections such as Peter and the Wolf and The Nutcracker and wrote light music lesson plans for Year One revolving around this cd and the short picture book list.

Here is the cd:

http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Children-Sir-Ralph-Richardson/dp/B00001X59W/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1431643522&sr=1-1&keywords=classics+for+children