Menu

What sequence for Horizons Math to Jacobs Algebra?

My son is working his way through Horizons 5.  What would be the sequence to get from where we are to Jacobs Elementary Algebra.  Horizons 6 to pre-algebra? to Jacobs? 

Besides Horizons, he has also done MEP 1-4 and SM CWP.  I don't think we will do MEP 5 because doing two math programs is becoming too time consuming..  This child is generally quick to understand mathematical concepts and problem solving.

Thanks for any advice.

My son did Horizons 1-6, and now we are using Dolciani Pre-Algebra (1988). So far we love Dolciani, though we have not used anything else to be able to compare. After this, my son will do algebra 1.

We were very glad that we had our son complete horizons 6 because we had orinally considered skipping it.

• Like 1

My son did Horizons 1-6, and now we are using Dolciani Pre-Algebra (1988). So far we love Dolciani, though we have not used anything else to be able to compare. After this, my son will do algebra 1.

We were very glad that we had our son complete horizons 6 because we had orinally considered skipping it.

Thank you for your opinion.  I was wondering about skipping 6 or not.

Thank you for your opinion. I was wondering about skipping 6 or not.

My oldest did Horizon's 3-5, Dolciani Accelerated pre-algebra and then Jacobs. He did fine. I do wish we hadn't skipped 6 because he is young for his grade and would benefit from maturity now in Algebra 2.
  • Like 1

My oldest did Horizon's 3-5, Dolciani Accelerated pre-algebra and then Jacobs. He did fine. I do wish we hadn't skipped 6 because he is young for his grade and would benefit from maturity now in Algebra 2.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me!  I appreciate the BTDT advice!

My oldest Horizons user went from Horizons 5 to AoPS prealg, and I presume AoPS intro alg next year. He's a strong math student.

If I recall correctly, 8Fill's kids went from Horizons 6 to MUS alg/geo (older combined version) for prealg to Forester intro alg.

• Like 1

My oldest Horizons user went from Horizons 5 to AoPS prealg, and I presume AoPS intro alg next year. He's a strong math student.

If I recall correctly, 8Fill's kids went from Horizons 6 to MUS alg/geo (older combined version) for prealg to Forester intro alg.

Thank you!  This is helpful.