Menu

DP

Tsuga

Dh and I declared bankruptcy 7 years ago, when we declared, we did the wage earners so that we could keep my old car. Now dh has a truck (just paid it off), we own our home (land contract) and I have a 2013 Ford Fusion (that we have decent interest on). To us it was worth it, we declared pre-kids (young and dumb as far as credit use went).

• Like 2

First, hugs to you.

Second, yes, bankruptcy is a viable option. Please consider it. Unfortunately, bankruptcy doesn't cover student loans, but it will cover other kinds of debt (medical, credit card, personal, etc.). Find a good lawyer. 

So many people need to do this and it is absolutely fine. This is why bankruptcy exists. It will give you a second chance. Put your pride aside. It will all be ok.

You accidently posted two threads, so you might want to check both for replies.

• Like 1

When the recession hit DH was unemployed for TWO YEARS.  Both of us had worked for close to 20 years, but due to a quirk, DH could not collect unemployment.  We had some nice savings and went through all of it - every dime.  We still have not rebuilt any savings.

I remember feeling very strongly that we were responsible, saving, working adults, and it made no difference at all.  A lot of people who worked the system came out of it much better than we did.    :grouphug:

• Like 1