Menu

Sequential Spelling for Adults

Has anyone used this or looked through it?

I have an older child who still needs some spelling work. I think he would really connect with the Sequential Spelling methodology, but I'm struggling with the idea of putting him in SS Level 1 and working all the way up (which would be a lot of review). I'm wondering if this might be a simpler choice (with lots of parental support).

There is a placement test here: http://avko.org/shop/ss/Rough%20Placement%20Test%20for%20SS.pdf

It is just such a different way of teaching spelling that I am not sure you could easily start anywhere else. What you can do is go quickly through the 1st level by doing 2 lessons a day. One in the morning and another after lunch/before dinner. That time between gives them time to commit the patterns to memory with out just copying what they did in the morning. I am using the student response book only (not the new workbooks, although I am curious to see that. I think dd8 might like it.)

There is a placement test here: http://avko.org/shop/ss/Rough%20Placement%20Test%20for%20SS.pdf

It is just such a different way of teaching spelling that I am not sure you could easily start anywhere else. What you can do is go quickly through the 1st level by doing 2 lessons a day. One in the morning and another after lunch/before dinner. That time between gives them time to commit the patterns to memory with out just copying what they did in the morning. I am using the student response book only (not the new workbooks, although I am curious to see that. I think dd8 might like it.)

I don't agree. For the right kid (like my daughter) this way of teaching makes total sense. It was like she "came home" to spelling. 

Emily