Menu

Please help me find an Algebra 1 book

My daughter, who typically struggles with math, will be finishing her pre-algebra book (College of the redwoods) and she is actually doing VERY well with it.  

So I now need to find an Algebra 1 book that is similar.  It MUST come with a teachers guide too.  I love the TE that came with our pre-algebra book.  (all of the solutions have each and every step so that when I am grading, it's easy to see exactly where the mistakes are.)

Please help me find a good option. 

thanks.

Also there is Fresh Approach - see the pinned thread

for "college texts " sequence is typically:

Elementary Algebra    -   Algebra 1

Intermediate Algebra -  Algebra 2

College Algebra  -  Precalc

I know Saxon gets knocked around on the boards pretty badly, but they have been good for my kids and good for me, and they have what you are asking for:  Teacher manual, solutions worked out, plenty of practice for those who struggle.

Saxon also sells Teacher DVDs in which a teacher not only explains each lesson but she also works out each problem including all test problems. Its saved my butt more than once. Not sure Saxon is right for you, but if you go that way, the dvds are worth the $.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose to go with the College of the Redwoods Algebra book because we had such success with the Pre-Algebra....but now I have another question...

I just realized that there aren't any tests with this program (wasn't in pre-algebra) and there aren't any here...

since my daughter is in 9th grade next year...and I need to be keeping grades, I will have to write tests, yes?  Or what would you all do??

I chose to go with the College of the Redwoods Algebra book because we had such success with the Pre-Algebra....but now I have another question...

I just realized that there aren't any tests with this program (wasn't in pre-algebra) and there aren't any here...

since my daughter is in 9th grade next year...and I need to be keeping grades, I will have to write tests, yes?  Or what would you all do??

You can write your own tests (that is what I do for AoPS), or you can look online for algebra 1 tests. There must be hundreds out there.

• Like 2