Menu

Latin Prep, a study question

Targhee

My 12 yo is using Latin Prep 1 right now, and I am looking for some ideas for study and review. She has been working 3 days a week (about 20-30 min each) for 3 months. We use the text and the workbook, and she is just finishing chapter 3. I don't mind that the pace is a little slow right now, as I want her to be solid with fundamentals. I find she's still referring to the declension and congugation charts. A lot. So, I am wondering if there are ideas for chants (how exactly do you do these? example words or just endings, do you chant the latin and then the english, how often do you do it, etc), flash cards, or other forms of study. What do you do to retain the grammar? The vocabulary? TIA

I type up a memory work list of vocabulary and my son reads through that daily. We also do declension chats, as we did in Lively Latin, which isn't the same order but what we already know. Chanting first declension a, ae, ae, am ,a, ae, arum, is, as, is. So when he needs an ending we chant the whole thing, it's much faster that looking at what is posted on my wall. As we practice more, it is committed to memory.

Thanks, StartingOver! I've stuck in American-order declension charts over the british-order ones in the LP book. We will give the chants a go.

I'm curious, how much time each week do you spend in LP? I feel like we could wiz through the book but without things really sinking in, so we stagger 20-30 min 3 times a week.

Galore Park, the publisher of Latin Prep, also publish a set of Latin Prep workbooks for practice, so maybe those could help? Also, if you are Ok with your DD using an iPad app, Pipiatum Level 1 covers pretty much the same ground as Latin Prep 1.

Galore Park, the publisher of Latin Prep, also publish a set of Latin Prep workbooks for practice, so maybe those could help? Also, if you are Ok with your DD using an iPad app, Pipiatum Level 1 covers pretty much the same ground as Latin Prep 1.

Thanks - I've never heard of Pipiatum! We have the workbooks, and puzzle book, and she uses them. I guess I just need to have her chant the paradigms and quiz the vocabulary. I will check out Pipiatum

My 12 yo is using Latin Prep 1 right now, and I am looking for some ideas for study and review. She has been working 3 days a week (about 20-30 min each) for 3 months. We use the text and the workbook, and she is just finishing chapter 3. I don't mind that the pace is a little slow right now, as I want her to be solid with fundamentals. I find she's still referring to the declension and congugation charts. A lot. So, I am wondering if there are ideas for chants (how exactly do you do these? example words or just endings, do you chant the latin and then the english, how often do you do it, etc), flash cards, or other forms of study. What do you do to retain the grammar? The vocabulary? TIA

We chanted the grammar until it was learned, as it was presented, chapter by chapter.  They would just chant down a model conjugation, then do the same with the other words that are given as being in the same conjugation.  Again and again until learned.

I set up a 'concertina' file for review  The system went like this (I used it not only for Latin, but for everything that needed to be memorised).

Day 1: child goes away and chants the new thing until he can come back and repeat it.  I make a card that says 'Latin Prep, page 8, Dominus'.  If today is 2nd May, I put it into number 3 in the folder, for review tomorrow.

Day 2: if he can still recite Dominus from memory then it moves forwards in the folder one week (Number 10 in the folder, May 10)).  If he can recite it at that point, then it stays on that number for monthly review (June 10, July 10....).  If not then it gets moved to number 11 (May 11) and stays on daily until it is learned, before going to weekly and then monthly.

It really worked

As far as how to chant: for conjugations/declensions he just chanted down the Latin.  For vocabulary, I would randomly ask him to give me the English for the Latin or the Latin for the English from the list.  When he replied with the Latin, he had to give any extra endings, plus the gender, that were given in the list.

• Like 1