Menu

Switching from MUS to MEP?

kristi26

I'm looking at switching all of my DC from MUS to MEP.  DS5 will be simple as he hasn't REALLY even started MUS yet (he is finishing up kindergarten, so will start at MEP year 1 next year if we switch).  I'm really actually wondering about the other two.

For DD9, I'm trying out year 2 with her today as that is where they seem to start multiplication.  She is doing the first few lessons with me to see if we like it.

But DS12, what do I do with him? He is finishing MUS Zeta right now (last lesson this week) and is ready to go to pre-algebra.

Reasons for switching:

1. MUS works okay, but no one loves it. And honestly there are days when it causes meltdowns for DD9.

2. We never use the blocks. Ever.

3. I rarely even look at the guide...

All thoughts on this welcome! Thanks!

Look at the secondary materials for your 12 year old.   Years 7 and 8 review topics introduced in years 4-6.  Compare with MUS to determine whether he should start in one of those years or move on to year 9.

If your 9 year old has not studied multiplication and division, start with 2b.   If she has a conceptual understanding of multiplication and division and given enough time can work out most products through 10x10, start with 3a.   

• Like 1