Menu

Graduation gift etiquette

klmama

Last year we gave a number of cash graduation gifts at grad parties.  We received thank you notes from a couple of the kids and didn't from several others.  Of course, it made me wonder if they even received the cards with the gifts inside.  With so many people at the parties, it would have been easy for someone to slip a few cards out of the unattended baskets without anyone noticing.  I didn't want to ask their parents because, assuming the dc received the gifts, I didn't want to embarrass the parents that their dc hadn't sent out thank you notes. 

Is there a better way to do this so that I'll know they received the gift?  How is this done where you live? 

If you really want to know if they received it, then I would give a check as a gift.  Then you can know when they cash/deposit it.  It is disappointing when kids don't send thank yous or even a personal verbal acknowledgement.  My son would have died if he had to hand write his thank yous, so I let him use his computer.  Wish others would have at least done that.

• Like 3

Wewrite checks that use the year for amount. This year will be $20.15. I say some years we get thank you notes for maybe half of the gifts. Usually boys are not writing thank you notes. I told my sons they weren't going to the bank with that money until the thank you notes were written. 😃