Menu

Folks in Charleston, SC

Truscifi

We are stopping there on our way to Pennsylvania next month. We are planning to arrive late afternoon on a Wednesday and spend that night and the next, so we will have a couple of hours Wednesday and all of Thursday to sight see. We want to visit the Battery, do a ferry tour of Ft Sumter, and go to the aquarium. Is that reasonable to do in that time frame? And any recommendations on places to stay, eat, etc?

That is enough time. You might want to buy your Ft Sumter tickets online ahead of time or the day before. If you wait to buy them then you risk them being sold out. You can see some of the battery from the Sumter tour boat so if you were to cut something I would recommend cutting that.

We were there recently and ate at a place called Page's Okra Grill, it was super yummy. They have good shrimp and grits and great breakfast.

• Like 1

DRAYTON HALL (to visit, cannot stay there) :) My fave place in Charleston.  But there are so many interesting historical homes--check out the Edmonton-Alston house, for instance, or Joseph Manigault which are both downtown. (Drayton Hall, an old plantation house, is in the "west ashley' area across the river....)

Eating: Bessingers BBQ if you want deliciously decadent lowcountry bbq, Jestine's Kitchen (if they are still around!), Hominy Grill is a favorite.....there are SO many great restaurants downtown.  If you want to go upscale, check out Husk...

For inexpensive hotels I would search nearer to the airport/North Charleston, Mt Pleasant or West Ashley (which is a region, but probably the 'address' is still Charleston).  You do lose the convenience of being able to walk out of your hotel and just be downtown.  But staying in Mt Pleasant or No Chas is not that far from the downtown area, if you are willing to drive (20 minutes or so to the battery).  There is one in North Charleston we like and I can send that to you if you are interested.  

I think given your timeframe and your agenda that's enough.  I would recommend touring at least 1 historical home if you are even remotely interested in architecture and seeing what the homes are like.  (I'd choose that over Ft Sumter, honestly, but that's just personal preference.  Some people love Sumter and the boat ride is nice.) 

Have fun!!

• Like 1

DRAYTON HALL (to visit, cannot stay there) :) My fave place in Charleston.  But there are so many interesting historical homes--check out the Edmonton-Alston house, for instance, or Joseph Manigault which are both downtown. (Drayton Hall, an old plantation house, is in the "west ashley' area across the river....)

Eating: Bessingers BBQ if you want deliciously decadent lowcountry bbq, Jestine's Kitchen (if they are still around!), Hominy Grill is a favorite.....there are SO many great restaurants downtown.  If you want to go upscale, check out Husk...

For inexpensive hotels I would search nearer to the airport/North Charleston, Mt Pleasant or West Ashley (which is a region, but probably the 'address' is still Charleston).  You do lose the convenience of being able to walk out of your hotel and just be downtown.  But staying in Mt Pleasant or No Chas is not that far from the downtown area, if you are willing to drive (20 minutes or so to the battery).  There is one in North Charleston we like and I can send that to you if you are interested.  

I think given your timeframe and your agenda that's enough.  I would recommend touring at least 1 historical home if you are even remotely interested in architecture and seeing what the homes are like.  (I'd choose that over Ft Sumter, honestly, but that's just personal preference.  Some people love Sumter and the boat ride is nice.) 

Have fun!!

Yes, thanks.