Menu

Does this count for a HS physics credit?

My daughter has used the Apologia Biology but wanted a different approach to Chemistry so we used the Zumdahl books as recommended here and it is a much better fit for us than Apologia.  Now I'm planning physics.  She really really likes the Saxon books and wants to use Saxon Physics with the Landry Academy physics lab intensive.  Is this enough for a physics credit?  Is there something else that might work if not?  I can't find any online examples of BJU.  At this point she is looking to attend Texas A&M or Ga Tech for engineering.  Could you please offer some insight?  I'd really appreciate it!

If you are really considering GT, I'd suggest a much more rigorous physics course, using Knight, Giancoli, S&Z, Serway, or Halladay/Resnick.  It doesn't have to be calc-based course, though calc-based is actually easier than algebra-based.  Though I love Hewitt's book, it is hardly more than a MS text.  It's a great option for folks not considering a math/engineering/science future.  GT has one of the best programs in the world, and A&M isn't far behind.  You will need to be prepared adequately for consideration into their programs.

Saxon Physics may as well not be considered a physics text at all.  You will need to follow it up with an actual physics course.

• Like 1

This is what I need to hear.  My husband and I are both GT engineers and so we wouldn't be sad if she ended up there :)  However, we live in TX so A&M is good too!

I have never even seen the Saxon book so I'm very open to information with the exception of Apologia.  My son used this and I'd like to use something different.

I found the physics thread but couldn't find any books like I did with Zumdahl. I'll check out the above books and will keep looking!  My problem is I need the text, TM, and study guide which is proving to be difficult to locate for any one text.  I can teach physics, but I don't have the time nor the energy to work every problem myself for the answers.   If y'all know a better place than Amazon to look, I'd appreciate the help.

I have never even seen the Saxon book

I found the physics thread but couldn't find any books like I did with Zumdahl. I'll check out the above books and will keep looking!  My problem is I need the text, TM, and study guide which is proving to be difficult to locate for any one text.  I can teach physics, but I don't have the time nor the energy to work every problem myself for the answers.   If y'all know a better place than Amazon to look, I'd appreciate the help.

The Saxon book is VERY strange because it does not follow a traditional sequence of topics, but goes in  some rather random order.

Every other physics text covers related topics together and in pretty much the same sequence.

I don't see a need for a study guide or teacher manual for a standard physics text - they are rather useless. What you want is a solution manual. Almost all of my students seem to have no trouble acquiring electronic copies of the solution manual for their standard physics texts. I know better than to ask how they got these... but it can't be difficult.

Not sure what you mean by "could not find any books". All the standard texts are easily available on amazon. Get an old edition used - nothing has changed in the last 50 years.

• Like 2

You are right, I am basically looking for a solution's manual but the ones I have found mostly have solutions worked out for even only at best or 20% done at worst.  The texts often have even or odd answers but usually not the solutions worked out.  For the most part my husband or I can figure this out, but it's nice to have a back up since neither of us have had physics in 25 years!  I definitely don't have a problem with older texts - that's one of the reason I enjoy math as it doesn't change!  I do like a study guide though if it's available.  It's a ready made test for me.  It's not mandatory, but good to have all the same.  I do still have my oldest son's Physics book and solutions manual if push comes to shove.  Again, if you happen to know of a solution guide that has a majority of the problems worked out, that would make my life much easier.  I appreciate all the feedback I've been given to date for sure!

You are right, I am basically looking for a solution's manual but the ones I have found mostly have solutions worked out for even only at best or 20% done at worst.  ...

But that would be entirely sufficient!

In my college physics course, I assign 8-10 problems per week, out of the dozens at the end of the chapter. The assignment will take students several hours and is completely sufficient for mastery. Nobody needs to work every problem; a wide variety is offered with varying difficulty, but the intent is NOT that every problem be worked.

I do like a study guide though if it's available.  It's a ready made test for me.

I have never seen a "study guide" for a physics text. Nor have I seen the publishers offer such a thing.

Again, if you happen to know of a solution guide that has a majority of the problems worked out, that would make my life much easier.

Complete solution manuals exist for college texts. Judging from grading homework, students seem to have no trouble at all finding them electronically online.

Pretty much every standard textbook also has solutions on cheating  websites like Chegg. While I strongly discourage the use of such sites for students, they might be useful to you as a homeschooler.

ETA: A while back, I have posted a complete set of exams and a schedule of assignments for a two semester algebra based physics course using College Physics by Knight, Jones and Field. I found the book to work very well for an algebra based high school physics course; both my kids took it in 9th grade. If you are interested, search the forum.

• Like 1

ETA: A while back, I have posted a complete set of exams and a schedule of assignments for a two semester algebra based physics course using College Physics by Knight, Jones and Field. I found the book to work very well for an algebra based high school physics course; both my kids took it in 9th grade. If you are interested, search the forum.

DiCentra has consolidated it into a pinned thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540313-homeschool-high-school-physics/