Menu

Outsourcing: What subject do you feel is most important & curriculum help...please

I am trying to decide on my middle son's schedule next year and having a hard time staying in budget.  I don't want to over burden him with too many online classes since it takes up a lot of time being in class as well as doing the work and the money factor!!  Also, I know for instance math is not my cup of tea after Algebra and well I seem to be tapped out after Latin I.  However, I feel strongly about having a good writing program and don't know if I am hard enough on grading that.  I also have a hard time reading all of the great books ahead of time to be able to discuss them well with him.  Having 3 kids with such a large age gap can be tricky.  So what do you feel is the most important "class"?  Thanks in advance!  I am so tired of agonizing this year on curriculum.  I have been debating since January, normally I am done by then.  Please help me finalize things!!!

Algebra I - local coop one day a week (Harold Jacobs)

Bible- OT finishing w/me

Grammar, Spelling - w/ me (Rod & Staff, Spelling Workout/ Voc. Roots)

Science - w/me  thinking BJU Physical Science

Questions:  Writing, Latin, History, Literature   (would love to have done Omnibus with WH but doesn't work with time issues.  Thinking of self paced primary through VP and secondary live VP)  Writing- would like to do Elegant Essay or some writing that focuses on essays- expository, persuasive, etc. or should I go with Memoria Press...ahhh!!   Latin- Latin Alive?  

Also, how important is Latin and going through AP he wants to start in on Arabic as soon as he can but wanted him to have a few years in before switching over thinking of at least 3 yrs. My head is spinning!!!  :willy_nilly:

I think it also depends on your strengths and weaknesses as well as your child. In your case, I would probably outsource Latin first. That is one that takes a lot of time to stay on top of unless you have an extensive Latin background yourself. What are your strongest areas? For me it is history and literature, so I will continue to teach those at home. I'm also a good writer, but ds and I clash for personality reasons over writing, so he will be outsourced for that. His science interests are over my head so we are looking to outsource that too, but I really think it depends so much on you as the teacher and your child too.

Yes, it is hard deciding.  I know I don't want to do math and Latin, but I hate to do too many online classes.  I was hoping on not outsourcing more than 2 online classes additional to his one class of Algebra at the coop.  So besides Latin what is most important...Writing, History or Literature?  Thanks!

I'm kind of in your same boat, but I have made a decision on the WH Omnibus 2 class.  We have already registered.  Now It is between Latin and Memoria Press Writing.  We are about halfway through Latin Alive I.  It always gets put on the back burner.  I think my dd would be more motivated if she had an online class.  I feel the same way you do about the writing.  I'm not sure I am pushing her enough, and it is one of her weakest subjects.  I do have the opportunity for a writing class with my co-op, though, but I would need to pull out of the Memoria Press sequence for one year.  It might be worth it to focus on essays.

Three online classes are just not possible.  I think it would be too much.  What to do?  I can't help much, but I can commiserate. If you are not wanting to complete the Latin readings and/or an AP class, you might be better off doing that at home.  I can understand the burn out, though.  I'm there.

Paula in MS~

So funny you just posted this as I just finally finalized what I was going to do next term.  Prayer does work...:-)  We decided to skip Omni I for now due to age and some of the questionable books, I feel for this age.  We decided to go ahead with Wilson Hill Omni 2 too!  We are halfway through Latin Alive I this year too, but my son decided he wanted to work and get it done this summer so he can move on to Latin 2 next year.  He wants to finish his Latin studies... I require at least 3 years so he can move on to studying Arabic.  So I had a Landry Academy credit and instead of paying $600 for him to take Latin at WH we just decided to let him take it there and save us some money and it is nice that it meets only once a week.  As to the writing we decided to stick with IEW for now, he has taken IEW since 3rd grade and so we wanted him to continue since he is doing well.  We decided to try an online writing class that meets in the summer for 4 wks.  it focuses on the different type of essays which I wanted him to work on this year anyway.  I figured if we could get this done in August before his online classes begin it would help in overload.  I do know that they write many "small" works in the Great Conversation and a couple big papers during the year so I felt this would be enough practice.  If not, will work some more at home with me this year.  Good luck to you too!

I'm so glad you finally got some peace on that decision.  We can't make the Latin 2 at Wilson Hill work because of the day.  I think we might go with the Latin Alive 2 class at Veritas Press instead of the writing class.  It fits into her schedule well, starting 30 minutes after Omnibus is over.  We will just do the IEW class that will be offered by our co-op.  She is going to need to finish that Latin book first, though.