Menu

Have you painted old furniture?

Just Kate

I have an old chest of drawers that a friend gave me that I would like to paint. I've been looking at blogs on refinishing older furniture and it looks like there are several methods out there. Anyone have any experience you can share with me? Any blogs or websites that you used?

I love using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  :)

It's easy to use, I wipe things down to be sure they are clean first, but not sanding or priming.  If you want to distress it afterward, it's super easy.  

My favorite site for how-to advice for ASCP is the Purple Painted Lady.  I don't have a link handy, but just google her and she'll pop right up.  I've ordered paint from her as well.  You can order samples, too - a sample pot will cover a dining chair - so it's fairly large.  I often get samples for small projects.

I love using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. :)

It's easy to use, I wipe things down to be sure they are clean first, but not sanding or priming. If you want to distress it afterward, it's super easy.

My favorite site for how-to advice for ASCP is the Purple Painted Lady. I don't have a link handy, but just google her and she'll pop right up. I've ordered paint from her as well. You can order samples, too - a sample pot will cover a dining chair - so it's fairly large. I often get samples for small projects.

Thank you! :) I remember you did your kitchen cabinets before, right? That is actually my dream...to get good enough to try my kitchen cabinets!!!

• Like 1

I'm doing an old buffet as we speak...I LOVE Annie Sloan Chalk paint, too.

Over the years I've done many paint projects using Behr paints or spray paints. For an indoor project, Annie Sloan paint rocks. No sanding or stripping....just clean the piece and start painting....

ETA....I love her wax, too. A pretty way to finish the piece, but it takes some time and elbow grease.

• Like 1

I have used both chalk paint and latex paint.  I didn't really follow any instructions either time--I just clean and paint.  I have never needed to sand when using latex paint, but I'm also painting old things.  Depending on the surface you'd want to sand and/or prime. Chalk paint is easy but you would need to love the finish it provides.  I am torn on it--I like it, mostly, but I also like the sleeker finish of latex or even oil paint.  Chalk paint is nice and easy though. I have purchased it at Joann's (surely they have some at Michael's as well) and it has worked pretty well-on a small, end table.