Menu

Is there a recent thread for best Typing programs?

bnwhitaker

Currently DS is doing Touch Type Read and Spell and doing very well with it..  He previously did Type to Learn 4 (ordered through Homeschool Buyer's Coop at a good discount) and really liked it.  He just needed a change of pace.

DD did Type to Learn 4 and liked it but switched to Typing Pal this year.  She has decided she prefers Type to Learn 4 because it has typing games but is continuing with Typing Pal since I won't pay for another program.

Honestly, of the three, I think TTL4 is more interesting for kids and may keep them trying longer.  My next favorite is Touch Type Read and Spell.  Typing Pal is pretty good, too, but I think I like the other two better.

Here's my 2 cents but you may not have any interest or need.  Feel free to skip over this part :) :  Bottom line is emphasizing accuracy waaaaay above speed.  Until accuracy is solid, including finger and body position, speed means virtually nothing.   Lots and lots of scaffolding and feedback at the beginning to make certain they have correct finger placement and body posture, plus setting whatever software requirements there are to require low speed and high accuracy (but not perfect or they may shut down in frustration) will net a LOT of positives down the road.  Not doing that from the beginning, a child may develop poor habits that become ingrained and take a very long time to undo.  And typing may become something they genuinely hate.

Good luck in finding something that works.  Best wishes...

Currently DS is doing Touch Type Read and Spell and doing very well with it..  He previously did Type to Learn 4 (ordered through Homeschool Buyer's Coop at a good discount) and really liked it.  He just needed a change of pace.

DD did Type to Learn 4 and liked it but switched to Typing Pal this year.  She has decided she prefers Type to Learn 4 because it has typing games but is continuing with Typing Pal since I won't pay for another program.

Honestly, of the three, I think TTL4 is more interesting for kids and may keep them trying longer.  My next favorite is Touch Type Read and Spell.  Typing Pal is pretty good, too, but I think I like the other two better.

Here's my 2 cents but you may not have any interest or need.  Feel free to skip over this part :) :  Bottom line is emphasizing accuracy waaaaay above speed.  Until accuracy is solid, including finger and body position, speed means virtually nothing.   Lots and lots of scaffolding and feedback at the beginning to make certain they have correct finger placement and body posture, plus setting whatever software requirements there are to require low speed and high accuracy (but not perfect or they may shut down in frustration) will net a LOT of positives down the road.  Not doing that from the beginning, a child may develop poor habits that become ingrained and take a very long time to undo.  And typing may become something they genuinely hate.

Good luck in finding something that works.  Best wishes...

I like your 2 cents!  Can I do that with the Type to learn 4?  The emphasizing accuracy or can the setting be set?   

I like your 2 cents! Can I do that with the Type to learn 4? The emphasizing accuracy or can the setting be set?

If you purchase through HSBC you can ask them to adjust both wpm and accuracy.

It was recommended to me to start with 95% accuracy for a younger student and 5wpm. Over time you can increase requirements for both by going through HSBC. The speed will naturally increase over time as they build muscle memory and motor planning skills, especially if proper finger placement and body position are reinforced from the beginning and consistently until it becomes automatic.

Hope that helps...

• Like 1