Menu

Math for 7th grade (after Singapore 6)

We are trying to figure out what to do. Dd12 is smart but often struggles with math. I will give her assignments after going through the work and she will get many incorrect. When I review with her, she can often get many correct without much help. Some mistakes are careless, some are calculation, some she uses the wrong formula, etc. she doesn't love math, And has cried when she gets so many incorrect. But at her MAPS testing (through her charter) she scores at 12+ grade level. This is so confusing to me.

This morning she took an assessment test at a local community college. She said most of the problems she had never seen before but she is eligible to take pre-algebra with them (a friend who is a professor recommended we do this as his homeschooled daughter did and has done well).

I'm thinking this might be the best route. I'm not sure I want to attempt teaching past Singapore 6.

Thoughts?

If the recommendations are to continue at home, what curriculums should we consider for grade 7?

Thanks for reading!

The community college class idea is intriguing, though I am not sure I'd want to put DS12 into an environment with aged 18+ folks at his age. I'm also not sure I'd want to start paying tuition at such a young age. However, your daughter may be just fine with that situation.

Like your daughter, DS is not an enthusiastic math student. Here is what we are considering for pre-algebra: Singapore 6B and AoPS pre-algebra. Our back up plan consists of Key to Prealgebra and Jousting Armadillos. 

Another option you might consider is an online format. "Your Teacher" has free online instructional materials during the summer (through Homeschool Buyers Co-op). I'm planning on using it for myself to review my own math skills before teaching DS. I'm not sure that I'd consider it for DS. There are a number of online programs for pre-algebra which have been reviewed here. You might also consider her taking a live, online course in pre-algebra (for instance, via the Well Trained Mind Academy).

Pre algebra is 7th or 8th grade level. When you say she scored in MAPS at the 12th grade, are you comparing the score against national, state, district norms or within the Charter's norms? I am just trying to gauge how advanced she really is. Personally I wouldn't find the Community College option attractive regardless of how advanced the child was. I would prefer to use other resources as Ethel Metz suggests.

Thanks for the responses so far. The maps testing was state norms if I recall correctly

The college classes here are free for k12. I wouldn't normally want her in college classes this young, but I would drop her at the beginning of class and be there waiting when it was over. I wouldn't consider anything besides math where content could be inappropriate.

We are working through Singapore 6b right now. She's doing decently well with it.

I absolutely wasn't trying to say she was advanced - just that I was confused by the score because she does often struggle at home. I also wonder if I'm just not great at teaching her math because she often struggles so much.

Tammy, I was just wondering what to do with math. My son breezed through 5 and 6 (finishing 6B...) this year, and I just don't know what to do next. I need to do more research, but many seems to love Jacobs algebra.... (???) College classes might be good, I guess she won't make new friends, but it would be interesting experience for her. (T practices tennis with a lot of 16-18yo, and good grief I am glad they don't have much time to chat😜)

One problem with math at the CC is that they do what would take high schoolers a year in a semester. This pace is not suitable for many younger students, especially as they get further advanced in math -- she'd probably be fine in pre-algebra, but then what will she do in the spring? Algebra one in a spring semester is quite challenging, and after that the next step would be intermediate algebra and college algebra ... the other option is giving semester breaks off math, which I also do not like.

Furthermore, in CC remedial classes (especially at the pre-algebra level) she will be in with adults who in general both hate and fear math.

If possible I would look into something designed for middle and high school students which can remove you from the equation. If you have money for an online class, I have heard good reviews from online classes sourced through Jann in TX, Tabletclass, and Derek Owens.