Menu

Rod & Staff Math - Q's

SS in MD

I'm trying to decide on a math curriculum for my 2nd grader. We used MUS last year, and it just didn't click with her.

Math is difficult for her. So, even though she's in 2nd grade I want to start in a first grade program. We have also used RS, but returned it and kept the games & abacus. Last night I was about to buy SM standards edition for 1st grade (HIGs, Txt, Wkbk, extra practice) and it all added up to be quite pricey for us...

SOrry to ramble, but I was wondering how you all liked R&S Math in the elementary years? Is it spiral or mastery? Is there lots of review? How does it compare to SM? Is it a workbook (I think I read somewhere the grades 1-3 were wkbks?)

Thanks for any help you can give me!! I really need to make a decision!

I have the set for first grade and it includes a teacher text and two student workbooks. There is review built into every lesson. R&S goes to a hardback text in 3rd grade.

I am using 6th grade for dd11 and we have used the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade books. R&S has been the best math curriculum for us. Dd loves that the lessons are so well laid out that she never feels as if she can't do the lesson. Each concept is built upon the next a little at a time. For my perfectionist dd who handles confusion and frustration very poorly this has been great for us. She is doing well mathematically and feels MUCH more confident about her abilities to do math.

HTH:001_smile:

I just switched our family to R&S math. I've used RightStart and Singapore with a brief stint in Miquon.

I adore R&S math. My kids are really enjoying it, too. I didn't like the scripted lessons of RightStart and Singapore was hard to teach (at least for me) and I can't explain why, but Singapore just seemed so convoluted to me. We'd be going along fine and then get to a new concept and we'd realize that while they were getting the work done o.k. on a day to day basis, it wasn't being retained at all.

R&S is just so straightforward and easy to teach and the kids really get what is going on. I truly think there is something to be said for just knowing facts cold in the younger grades and worrying about "concepts" and "whys" in the older grades. Let's just say that none of us are dreading math everyday anymore!

I believe R&S is considered mastery, but it has some review built in. Right now we are going over subraction, but we are still drilling our addition facts. I also like the before class, during class and after class activities. The before class goes pretty quickly, then I assign the lesson. Later in the day I bring the children back to the chalkboard for the after class activity. It doesn't take long and sets up the lesson for the next day.

I'm teaching the 2nd grade math, but have the 1st grade materials for my next child. 1st grade has a Teacher's Manual and 2 workbooks with tear out pages. The flash cards are really nice and I'm glad I went ahead and purchased them. I do have the blacklines, too, but only because I got them used for a good price. I don't know that I would have purchased them new. Oh, and the speed drills have been a hit here! It cracks me up! LOL

I'm trying to decide on a math curriculum for my 2nd grader. We used MUS last year, and it just didn't click with her.

Math is difficult for her. So, even though she's in 2nd grade I want to start in a first grade program. We have also used RS, but returned it and kept the games & abacus. Last night I was about to buy SM standards edition for 1st grade (HIGs, Txt, Wkbk, extra practice) and it all added up to be quite pricey for us...

SOrry to ramble, but I was wondering how you all liked R&S Math in the elementary years? Is it spiral or mastery? Is there lots of review? How does it compare to SM? Is it a workbook (I think I read somewhere the grades 1-3 were wkbks?)

Thanks for any help you can give me!! I really need to make a decision!

I LOVE R&S math! I think it is considered mastery, at least that's how it appears to me. We've used it starting with grade 2, and ds is on the grade 6 book now, and we plan to continue through the end of grade 8. There is lots and lots of review built in through the year, as well as at the beginning of each new grade. Workbooks end with grade 2 - grade 3 has a student text book and students are expected to write out problems, but my dd is using grade 3 this year and is just writing answers in the book. I'll have her write problems in the 4th grade book. The books are also quite cheap compared to a couple of other programs I looked at. And the TM is wonderful - it tells me everything I need to know to teach math, each day. So then I can pick and choose how much depth to go into. They also tell you what aids you need and how to make them if you don't want to buy them.

Workbook 1 ends with lesson 85. It looks like counting by rote 180-189 and subtraction story problems are in that lesson.

Working with numbers in the 180's, subraction family 7, nickels, counting by 2's, number words, addition and subraction facts-mixed etc. are all topics covered in the subsequent 12 lessons or so.

It doesn't really look as if the two books are beginning and ending at a specific breaking point, KWIM? Lesson 46 is addition family 7 in the pupil book, story problems in lesson 51. You'd really be just jumping in in the middle without any lead-in if you went straight to book 2, I think.

http://www.rodandstaff.info/samples/1/math/

here is a sample of the workbook pages.

I agree that you'd just be jumping in the middle to skip ahead to book 2.

I might suggest starting at the beginning and letting her set her own pace.

This may not work with some children, but with one of mine we did this. She was very frustrated over math, she had been struggling with 4th grade. I took her all the way back to R&S 3rd grade. I told her we'd go at any pace she chose. She was so excited to understand the problems and getting the right answers- she flew through the book (especially the beginning). It was a real confidence booster to her. I didn't feel like we lost any time, since she was doing multiple lessons per day.

We really enjoy R&S. I hope it works well for your family!

Faithseed,

Thank you for the post. I'm really leaning towards using R&S. My older dc have all used SM, but math comes isn't such a hard subject for them as it is for our 3rd dd. Also, SM was going to cost almost $80 (just for 1st grade), also I was a little concerned because of the lack of constant review (which again was fine for my older dc, but 7yo really needs repetition). But, she does like color perhaps I can simply add a check school supply wkbk....

Thanks

How many years have you been using R&S Math?

Faithseed,

Thank you for the post. I'm really leaning towards using R&S. My older dc have all used SM, but math comes isn't such a hard subject for them as it is for our 3rd dd. Also, SM was going to cost almost $80 (just for 1st grade), also I was a little concerned because of the lack of constant review (which again was fine for my older dc, but 7yo really needs repetition). But, she does like color perhaps I can simply add a check school supply wkbk....

Thanks

How many years have you been using R&S Math?

We've been using R&S for 3 years now (this is our 4th). When we switched, no one missed the colors (we started with Abeka, so lots of color there).

The constant review was perfect and much needed for my DD. And I agree, you can't beat the R&S price! I almost never let them skip anything, even when we are doing thing orally. I have a couple of exceptions (time and writing out number words), but that review is so important to my DC. It gives them confidence, gives their brain a break when they are working on a new concept, and keeps those facts fresh.

We will often go through lessons orally, doing 2-3 per day, especially when things are pure/mostly review. The children love to do this. I also make it a point to pull out the manipulatives and work with them at least once per week- not just on a new concept, but just for fun. It keeps things interesting, and not just "book work" which can be boring. If we are stuck on something, obviously we just slow all the way down and focus on that until we've got it. We're hitting fourth grade now, and I'm pretty sure this oral stuff will not be possible then...

I do have all of the blacklines for all of the grades we've done so far. They were cheap, and it saves me from searching the internet for extra practice or drill when we need it. We also get the drill books (I think they start in 2nd grade? Mabe 3rd). I don't require them to do it unless there is something they are struggling with, or if I just don't have time to do drill like I should. They always get done, though....the children do them for "fun".

I think once your daughter has her confidence back, she'll sail right through. It's great when that light comes on and they say "Hey! This is easy!"

Good luck!