Menu

Boys' State experiences?

I went to Girl's State in the '90's in Nebraska.  I'd recommend going, if he has the opportunity.  It was a good experience.  I learned a few things from it and had a good time.  Not everyone gets the opportunity to go, so I'd take it, if he has the chance. 

From what I remember, I believe it included a tour of the capitol and talking with State Representatives. 

• Like 2

Sorry--also rather dated experience but I was selected for Girls State back in the late 80's and it was a phenomenal experience. One of my best friends went to Boys State the same year and then was selected for Boys Nation. He now makes his living as a successful lobbyist and credits his experiences with setting him on that road. He now does quite a bit of work with JSA (Junior Statesman Association) which is an affiliated organization.

I would love for one of my kids to go to Girls or Boys state.

I went to Boy's State in NC in the late 80's when it was still at Wake. The program itself wasn't anything great. Getting to stay on a college campus for a few days and hang out with other smart, motivated kids was cool.

Looking at the NC application forms, it looks like it has gotten even more right wing than before. I wouldn't have signed that loyalty oath as a high schooler. I had to be persuaded to sign up for Selective Service. My most distinct memory of Boy's State is an old guy, and they were all old guys since the Legion was refusing to admit Vietnam vets at that point, in the Constitution seminar yelling at a bunch of kids about how if we thought the 1st amendment allowed us to oppose the government or burn the flag we all deserved to be in jail... good times.

Overall, if your kid wants to go to Boy's State I'd do it. It is fun and free. I wouldn't send my kid but if you are more conservative it shouldn't be an issue at all.

ETA: At that point I has already taken AP US history and gone to the national finals in the Citizen Bee... a national contest based on American history, civics, and economics than was run by  the Close Up foundation that no longer appears to exist... so my low opinion of the educational program may be flavored by that...

This may vary by location/state. FWIW my friend is a lifelong Democrat and not a particularly conservative one either. And one of the two girls chosen for Girls Nation was the daughter of a prominent Democrat state senator.

But I do agree the seminar emphasizes how lucky we are to have a representative democracy and to do things like vote. And I do remember saying the pledge at the opening of the legislative session.

So if that's not your thing (or his thing) then by all means stay clear.

• Like 1

I went to Girl's State in the '90's in Nebraska.  I'd recommend going, if he has the opportunity.  It was a good experience.  I learned a few things from it and had a good time.  Not everyone gets the opportunity to go, so I'd take it, if he has the chance. 

From what I remember, I believe it included a tour of the capitol and talking with State Representatives. 

Wow. I went to Girls' State in Nebraska in the '90s as well. That was back when Girls' State & Boys' State was in the same location at the same time & we did a few joint activities -- the only one in the nation like that, I believe.  :thumbup1:  I admit to knowing more than I should about Boys' State because I came home with a Boys' State t-shirt & a boyfriend.  :ohmy:

We ran for offices. If we lost our bid for office, we were appointed to a government job & we visited that job or something like it on one of the days there. We conducted a mock day of rule-making with proposed bills, Roberts' Rules of Order, etc. (Nebraska only has one 'house', called the Unicameral, instead of a House/Senate.)

• Like 1

It can be a life-changing experience for some. Here's actor Donal Logue (one of my favorites) talking about his experience at Boys Nation. Donal went on to study Intellectual History at Harvard where he also discovered acting.

• Like 1