Menu

Good Reliable Computer

I'm schooling four boys and our computers are on the fritz. I'm going to have to get 4 computers in the course of the next year. We need enough "machine" to power things like heavy internet use, lots of educational sites online, school by CD rom and gaming (like minecraft, etc.) Can anyone suggest a great computer (type, brand, etc.) that is straightforward and simple for a non-computery mom like me to run and maintain for the kids? I'm not sure how to shop for computers or hone in on the best one to purchase. Thank you. 

• Like 1

During 2014 on Amazon we bought 2 Refurbished Dell Latitude E6400 laptops from BlairTG (Blair Technology Group). They have a one year warranty (in the USA) with the exception of the battery. They have a new and legal copy of Windows 7.  We have had the first one for more than one year. The one I am using we received last July. They also sell Desktop PCs.  We paid less than $200 each including shipping in the USA.  Enterprise models are purchased (actually they are leased) by corporations and have commonality of components and higher quality components than computers designed for the Consumer market. Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase!

I know now that Blair sells the majority of their systems on eBay.

ETA: Our laptops have 4 GB of RAM.  

I would go with refurbished if you need to buy 4. Do you have to have laptops??? I would prefer desktops or a combo like 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

Dell and HP refurbished have been great for me for the past 5 years. I bought some on ebay and some on Tigerdirect.com.

For those purposes (and to make sure they last a while) I would want at LEAST 4GB RAM (8GB is better if you can swing it), 500GB Hard Drive and probably at least 1.7GHz+ processor (if budget allows I would go for 2.0+ GHz). Windows 7 is fine (many actually prefer it to Win8) and is often found on refurbished. Of course make sure the have CD drives (or DVD drive) many laptops these days do not have that, so double check.

• Like 1