Menu

How do I sprinkle or supplement Foerster A1 with AoPS In Alg

DD is in chapter 3 of Foerster I (the pre-algebra) section. This is all a review so far and is sailing through it. I have ordered the AoPS Intro

Alg book and want to supplement the Foerster.  

I don't know how to do this.

Any suggestions?

This is purely an "after school" thing. She will start algebra next school year.

I'm confused -- you want to supplement Foerster Pre-algebra with AOPS Algebra? That's not a good match.

AOPS Algebra is not a great supplement for another algebra curriculum. It won't coordinate well with any other book in scope and sequence. No one can say if you're in chapter N from book X that you can supplement with problems from chapter M in AOPS.

You might try one of the contest prep books -- these teach mathematical problems solving over a variety of topics. You still won't necessarily "coordinate" with Foerster, they would be more like "extra credit projects."

Another thought is to just create an Alcumus account and let the website pick problems automatically. Easy and free.

AoPS is a book that generally has to be done in order. Each chapter builds upon the previous chapters. The exception is a student that is strong in math might pull a chapter here and there, but generally that would be difficult to do.

If you want to use AoPS to supplement anything, I'd say start at the beginning and go. Generally I'd do every section, but if it is easy, you could move on to the end of the chapter review.

If you did AoPS before doing ps algebra, then I think the student would be very bored in school. Maybe you mean AoPS Prealgebra before starting algebra in the fall?

I think the OP was referring to the fact that the beginning of Foerster Algebra I is actually a review of Pre-Algebra.  Correct me if I am wrong, of course.

We just did this today, so I can tell you exactly what I did.  DS is finished with the Foerster Chapter 7 section that solves linear systems of equations by substitution.  But he really needed a break from Foerster this week.  It was becoming such a grind.

Today, we worked on Section 5.2 of AoPS Algebra, which is also substitution.  But, you know..it's AoPS, so the presentation is different.  We did AoPS buddy-style on the whiteboards, talking our way through the discovery problems.

The thing you have to watch for (or teach) are the things that AoPS teaches earlier than Foerster.  Fractional exponents are a good example.  They are in Chapter 1 of AoPS Algebra, but are not taught in Foerster until Algebra 2. 

• Like 2

I think the OP was referring to the fact that the beginning of Foerster Algebra I is actually a review of Pre-Algebra.  Correct me if I am wrong, of course.

We just did this today, so I can tell you exactly what I did.  DS is finished with the Foerster Chapter 7 section that solves linear systems of equations by substitution.  But he really needed a break from Foerster this week.  It was becoming such a grind.

Today, we worked on Section 5.2 of AoPS Algebra, which is also substitution.  But, you know..it's AoPS, so the presentation is different.  We did AoPS buddy-style on the whiteboards, talking our way through the discovery problems.

The thing you have to watch for (or teach) are the things that AoPS teaches earlier than Foerster.  Fractional exponents are a good example.  They are in Chapter 1 of AoPS Algebra, but are not taught in Foerster until Algebra 2. 

Excellent point, Yes DD is starting chapter in Foerser Alg 1 and Its is a review as she is not struggling at all. I just received the AoPS Intro

Alg today. WOW! I think I will let DD complete the pre A section of Foerster Alg 1 then give AoPS a try in chapter 1. If she doen't want to stop the Foerster text then we will just supplement with Alcumas  

I understand DD will be way ahead of her Algebra I class in the fall, but she is ready to go forward. And I want to take a full 12 months or more in "after schooling" of Alg 1.

• Like 1