Menu

Replanting purchased tulips/daffodils/hyacinth

Rachel

I love having fresh flowers in the house and with spring our local grocery store has had inexpensive flower pots of tulips, daffodils, and hyacinth. I have enjoyed them but they are now starting to die. Since these typically bloom year after year when planted in the ground, can I plant them in my yard?

The tulips and hyacinth are planted in soil, the daffodils were hydroponic so they are just in water but do have roots. I know bulbs are typically planted in the fall, but do I have to wait?

I plant some hyacinths every year as I enjoy getting them for inside the house every year (love their smell!).

We haven't had a failure yet, though they bloom better a couple of years after having been planted.  They still flower the first year - just better afterward.

• Like 1

I used to work in a greenhouse where we forced bulbs for spring sales.  If some didn't sell I brought them home and planted them.  Years later I am still enjoying them. Make sure you give them a good feed when you plant them this spring and repeat around July 1st.so the bulbs can regain some strength to give you a show next spring. 

• Like 3

I used to work in a greenhouse where we forced bulbs for spring sales. If some didn't sell I brought them home and planted them. Years later I am still enjoying them. Make sure you give them a good feed when you plant them this spring and repeat around July 1st.so the bulbs can regain some strength to give you a show next spring.

Thanks for the tip, it wouldn't have occurred to me to fertilize them.