Menu

Apologia Chem as the main spine and supplement with DIVE...

Have any of you had success using Apologia Chem as the spine for the course then just using DIVE lectures that go with the Apologia Chem modules? We would skip any of the DIVE lectures/topics that use readings that are not in Apologia Chem. 

I'd have my ds take notes on the DIVE lectures, but skip the worksheets and tests that go with DIVE.

Instead I'd have him take notes on the Apologia Chem. modules, do the OYO questions, study guide and Apologia tests.  

I think we'd use all of the labs in DIVE that go along with each Apologia module, since I've heard that folks like the DIVE labs better than Apologia Chem's labs.

I tried to use DIVE to supplement a text, instead of using it as a main course once. It was a dismal failure. My experience says to use it as the main course or not at all. However, you may be more successful at using it as a supplement than I was.

I tried to use DIVE to supplement a text, instead of using it as a main course once. It was a dismal failure. My experience says to use it as the main course or not at all.

I'm a DIVE user (4 years now), and I don't recommend it either. Apologia really doesn't line up with any of the DIVE levels that well. We tried it with Biology and ICP, and it really caused problems because he talked about things in the lectures and labs that weren't in the textbook. 

We've used BJUP texts ever since with DIVE, and that goes well. There have just been a handful of times when my teens have had to come to me for help with understanding what he does there.  Both have said that sometimes they've had to watch the lecture and read the text a few times before they understood the video labs, they're definitely longer and more complex than what Apologia does.

BTW, DIVE Chemistry is a heavyweight course.  I went to a nationally-ranked high school known for its sciences, and I KNOW that I didn't cover that much in high school chemistry.  DIVE Chemistry has a lot more in common with my college chemistry than my high school chemistry.

I'd look into something that lines up better with Apologia.