Menu

Need more independent math for 2e dd10

I have used CSMP for dd10 from the beginning.  It worked well for us until I got sick at the beginning of this year.  As a result, she has been doing just the worksheets from the 5th grade curriculum this year.  But CSMP is not at all intended to be an independent curriculum.  So doing the worksheets have given her some arithmetic practice and a little bit of critical thinking exercises, but we missed a lot by not doing the lessons.  

Since I cannot count on recovering before next school year, I need to reevaluate everything, starting with math.  Dd10 is good at math for her age, but she is not what I would call "mathy."  It is work for her, and she doesn't really like it.  CSMP has worked well, because it is full of stories and introductions to higher math concepts.  

Here are some of the things that I know she needs to work on:

• Division algorithm (though she has a firm grasp of what division is, conceptually)
  • Decimals (she has had some introduction and understands what they mean, but needs to learn how to do arithmetic using decimals)
  • Percentages
  • Arithmetic with fractions (has a good understanding of what a fraction is)
  • Area (has had some practice with) and Volume
  • Word problems

I would love to find a program that covers the basics while teasing her with more advanced topics, such as probability (which she particularly likes).  But the most important thing is that she needs to be able to do it mostly independently with only support from me.  But it can't require that I actually teach a full lesson.  

I would love to hear the Hive's suggestions.  

CTC Math online. We are using it as a supplement, but it could certainly be used as a full program. I had no idea it would work so well for ds or I would have tried it forever ago. When he forgets a procedure or algorithm, he just goes onto the program and re-watches the videos like his own personal notes. Then he completes whatever problem set he is doing, whether Singapore or within the CTC Math questions. It is a great way to get the instruction to the child independently and it eliminates a lot of 2E barriers by having students type in the answers. I have not seen strong word problems on the program yet so that may be a weak spot, but we haven't been using it for very long yet and those may be in a part we haven't explored.

• Like 1

CTC Math online. We are using it as a supplement, but it could certainly be used as a full program. I had no idea it would work so well for ds or I would have tried it forever ago. When he forgets a procedure or algorithm, he just goes onto the program and re-watches the videos like his own personal notes. Then he completes whatever problem set he is doing, whether Singapore or within the CTC Math questions. It is a great way to get the instruction to the child independently and it eliminates a lot of 2E barriers by having students type in the answers. I have not seen strong word problems on the program yet so that may be a weak spot, but we haven't been using it for very long yet and those may be in a part we haven't explored.

What is CTC?  And how do you use it with Singapore?  

It is CTC Math Tutor. Personally, I use Singapore to work through the concept first. So right now that would be fraction operations. But we are nearly done with the whole chapter on fraction operations in Singapore and 2E ds just really needs more practice with the algorithm of fraction division, so he goes on CTC to watch the fraction division videos as a review and to do 10 question sets. When he feels more comfortable with just the calculations and procedures themselves, he comes back and works through the word problem sections of Singapore. I may also assign him problem sets from CTC (like fraction multiplication or subtracting fractions from whole numbers) to work through independently in the afternoon, so he doesn't lose these concepts while we move forward with ratios in Singapore.