Menu

Do you do facial exercises?

Ginevra

I actually used to own the book Facebuilding years ago, but I was also oh so young at the time; I am certain I didn't even understand how the face ages at the time, much less fully grasp how the exercises were performed. (This was also long before You Tube.) Anyway, I am thinking of beginning a facial exercise regimen as I approach my forty-fourth year. Does anyone here do this? Do you especially like a particular guru? I am thinking of buying Carol Maggio's Facercise book.

I thought of doing them, but have chosen not to. I used to be an esthetician and they discouraged it. This article may be of interest. Paula Begoun doesn't recommend them either. I emailed them about it and they said not to do them. There might be an article on their site as well. I try to massage my face every few days, sometimes daily, it all depends on how much time I have. I'm older than you by a few years. Skin care fascinates me and I love threads like this. :) I'm very interested in what others have to say. Many swear by facial exercises. 

• Like 2

Negin, thanks for the link. I do agree that skin wrinkling has different components unrelated to facial muscles. However, there are things I think could be improved (non-surgically) about my face and neck which I believe are related to muscles. For example, I am able to raise one eyebrow independent of the other and have made that face over the years either in an exaggerated comedic way, or just naturally when I'm being expressive. I can see that that eyebrow appears higher than the other. I theorize that I could "even them up" by directly exercising them, especially by giving attention to the weaker eyebrow.

I also think aging on the neck had a lot to do with muscle tone. Women who lift weights (for their bodies) seem (in my mere anecdotal observation) to have smoother-looking necks.

If I do it, I plan to take a really good "before" photo, which I can compare to a very parallel "after" photo. Call it my own guinea pig experiment.

• Like 1

I do find that my face feels tired and sore when I'm grumpy. So I walk around smiling like a nincompoop until my kids laugh at me any make fun of me.

But I don't think that's what you meant.

I figure if I'm going to get wrinkles, they should at least be happy ones.

• Like 3

I also think aging on the neck had a lot to do with muscle tone. Women who lift weights (for their bodies) seem (in my mere anecdotal observation) to have smoother-looking necks.

If I do it, I plan to take a really good "before" photo, which I can compare to a very parallel "after" photo. Call it my own guinea pig experiment.

I agree about the neck aging thing. 

Taking a before photo sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. 

I figure if I'm going to get wrinkles, they should at least be happy ones.

I agree! Happy wrinkles/smile lines are wonderful. :)