Menu

Moving to WHERE???

DragonFaerie

Here's an example:

http://www.apartments.com/20908-sw-edgemont-st-beaverton-or/jqldv14/

This is in Beaverton, OR which is a suburb on the west side of Portland. I'm in this area all the time and it is a nice place. It's close to Orenco Station which is in Hillsboro and has lots of rentals nearby. Orenco Station is a stop on the TriMet which is the commuter train and takes you right into downtown Portland.

This area is easy access to everything you could possibly need and the Rock Creek Campus of Portland Community College is not far at all.

I would say it is safe. After living in Southern CA all of my life, it is definitely safe IMO. I'm not too familiar with schools as I live father west of Portland and homeschool. :)

Thank you!  It's really nice to have a specific area to pinpoint when I'm trying to look online.

• Like 1

Thank you!  It's really nice to have a specific area to pinpoint when I'm trying to look online.

Portland also has the Portland Youth Philharmonic.

There's the Portland Zoo

The aquarium is on the coast.

Here's the link to the community college.

The Portland area gets about 40 inches of rainfall per year. We don't get much in the form of downpours. It's more sprinkling on and off and keeps everything green and gorgeous.

Fall is my favorite season here. This blog shows you some of the color we get.

Spring brings the Tulip Festival, blooms to the Rose Garden, beauty to Multnomah Falls, etc.

Homeschooling laws are easy. You notify the district of your intent and then administer testing in 3rd, 5th, and 8th grade. You just keep the test records. You don't have to submit them.

There are lots of different churches but it is not an overly religious place. It's pretty live and let live.

It really is a beautiful place!

• Like 1

Portland also has the Portland Youth Philharmonic.

There's the Portland Zoo

The aquarium is on the coast.

Here's the link to the community college.

The Portland area gets about 40 inches of rainfall per year. We don't get much in the form of downpours. It's more sprinkling on and off and keeps everything green and gorgeous.

Fall is my favorite season here. This blog shows you some of the color we get.

Spring brings the Tulip Festival, blooms to the Rose Garden, beauty to Multnomah Falls, etc.

Homeschooling laws are easy. You notify the district of your intent and then administer testing in 3rd, 5th, and 8th grade. You just keep the test records. You don't have to submit them.

There are lots of different churches but it is not an overly religious place. It's pretty live and let live.

It really is a beautiful place!

Thank you so much for all the links! These are great!

For the record, it does rain in the desert SW...especially in July-August/September.

Yes, and the rain has a magical quality here unlike anything I have experienced elsewhere. It smells amazing and it just feels so refreshing somehow. But part of its beauty is that it's so scarce. :) During monsoon season, even if it does rain every day, it's only for a few minutes. Then it clears off again and it's sunny (and dry again in no time). So if what you like is long, soaking rains, you definitely won't find them here. But it is fun to watch the little downpours spread out over the west mesa in the evening light from the eastern foothills of Albuquerque. Very pretty.

Maybe northern MD/DC area, a little north of the city. You might still have a bit of a commute for orchestra, but you'd be out of most of the traffic, and housing would be less expensive. Possibly you could also live in central PA; there might be youth orchestras in State College or Harrisburg, and there are areas with good public schools near both. (Nearest aquarium is in Baltimore, though, so not super close, but doable in a day trip.). *I* think it's easy to homeschool here, but not everyone does. You could also check out the Pittsburgh area, and you might have the option to live in WV, but also, I didn't like the looks of homeschooling in Wv. On paper, they looked good, better than PA, but when I dug more, people were less enthused. (Otoh, PA is really not that big of a deal, despite how it looks on paper.)

And we get all four seasons fairly equally.