Menu

So, that was not helpful (interest/ability survey to narrow down college/career)

I think the interest ability survey thing must be based upon stereotypes or something, because the careers it's saying my son would be good at are ones he has zero interest for (I had a similar problem with my surveys...I laughed hysterically at its college/career suggestions).

It selected health services (I distinctly remember his putting this as a "not interested") area

CERAMICS and Ceramic designer??? (hahahaha)

Social Worker (he said he had little or no interest in mediating/helping others resolve problems -- he does like telling other people what to do, though)

Dental Hygienist (again...hahahahaha)

Education (this one isn't out of the ball park of probability, though)

I think the issue is that he's a sociable science/computer kid, who enjoys making movies and writing fiction.  He does love the outdoors, and he does love working with his hands (building things is in his wheelhouse).  

I think he's destined to dual major in something related to science/engineering (loves aerospace, robotics and nuclear engineering), and communications/speech/marketing/business

So, since the interest survey only wants to pull up colleges that focus on how they interpret his answers, does anyone here have a good idea for colleges and universities that would allow him to major in an engineering field and a communication related field (I'm thinking more generalized than specific...a little speech, marketing, technical writing, journalism/PR courses

Thoughts?

Thankfully, Duke is still a near perfect fit for younger daughter.

I would look at a small liberal arts school which pair up with an university to provide an engineering degree. These programs are dual degree programs, one from each institution. Typically the students get a math or some type of science degree but I would look to see if a broader range is possible. The particular program is Benedictine College but I would think that there are others. I have two nephews currently in this program and a brother who graduated from the same program 25 years ago.

• Like 1

I would look at a small liberal arts school which pair up with an university to provide an engineering degree. These programs are dual degree programs, one from each institution. Typically the students get a math or some type of science degree but I would look to see if a broader range is possible. The particular program is Benedictine College but I would think that there are others. I have two nephews currently in this program and a brother who graduated from the same program 25 years ago.

How do you go about looking for these programs? So far our searches have been pretty awful. The closest things we can find are interdisciplinary, or Aviation at the same place as PR. Kid is frustrated, and most of the answers to similar questioning at College Confidential are pretty much against the idea.

Ok I'm focused on VA schools.

How about physics at a liberal arts school. WM has a good physics program. They also have a program where you spend some time at WM some at Washington Univ in St. Louis where you pecan earn a degree in engineering.

If you are set on engineering CNU just started and engineering program, but it's just electrical. They do have a degree in communications though. It's such a small school you could about combining.

• Like 1

I did a Google search. There are a few that came up, but not a lot (more double masters, and undergraduate / MBA). I'm wondering how scholarships/financial aid work for things like this? I guess those are questions to ask. I suppose we could research engineering programs, and also PR/Comm/business programs, and see if there are possible double majors somewhere, too. I think the kid is going to have to start making some hard inquiries from colleges about this idea. That, and watch/listen to some free lectures and videos to see if a particular area (aerospace vs. Mechanical vs. Nuclear vs. Electrical vs. Computer) is more interesting.