Menu

Any favorite science or history books on Learning Ally?

I'm searching to add to my 12 year old  son's reading list. He is currently studying Biology so that would be great, but I'd rather he have an engaging book  than a boring one! Before I spend HOURS on learning ally, I'd thought I see if there  were some favorites with this forum. He recently finished Shipwrecked at the Botttom of the World (both my 5 year old and 12 year  old LOVED It). He has a bunch of literature to read, but I'm specifically looking for non-fiction. THANKS:-)

Do you know the Apologia Elementary science books and CHOW are on there?  Also, the Apologia people wrote me back and said they will actually provide you the cd free for the book if you provide proof of disability and will pay the shipping.  I thought that was extremely generous!  Also Audible has them.  

You know what would be killer is if the Guerber books were on LA.  Or anything from the Ambleside lists...  I know, that's why I'm afraid to subscribe, because it's SO open-ended, I don't know how I'd ever find anything, lol.  

Have you gone through the SL lists?  Do they have Hakim?  If there's a recording of Hakim, that was be a must, mercy.

Sorta different, but have you thought about TC courses?  Audible has them on the cheap, and both my 6 yo and my almost 16 yo like them.  Figure that one, lol.

• Like 1

If there are specific books you want added, you can request Learning Ally to do them. When I was doing SL with my daughter, I went through the LA  list, decided what LA had and what I wanted to read aloud. A few we just tossed out and then I requested two books to be recorded and they did!

I know a number of textbooks and I think they have Joy Hakim's History of Science (otherwise I'm going to request it when I renew my membership).

• Like 1

I've spent HOURS looking up books in LA. I still prefer Audible because we can listen in the car, but he gains so much from following the highlighted words in LA. I normally get him the fiction books, but I have a hard copy available too so he has a choice. THe History of Science is right up his alley! He loves loves loves history. I never even thought to check that one. He eye-reads Human Odyssey because he likes it. He learns so much better through auditory though. Thanks again. I will look these up.

I've spent HOURS looking up books in LA. I still prefer Audible because we can listen in the car, but he gains so much from following the highlighted words in LA. I normally get him the fiction books, but I have a hard copy available too so he has a choice. THe History of Science is right up his alley! He loves loves loves history. I never even thought to check that one. He eye-reads Human Odyssey because he likes it. He learns so much better through auditory though. Thanks again. I will look these up.

It would be another expense, but had you thought about a kindle for him?  The kindle *app* won't do immersion reading, but the kindle *device* will.  It's one reason I got ds a new kindle when he drowned his other one.  And even though there's not an app for LA in the amazon app store, you can sideload the android version.  I've given a link with directions in the past.  It takes a couple steps, but it's not hard.