Menu

Self-paced Wayfarers?

stm4him

I don't have to figure this out yet, but when I buy Wayfarers Modern one idea would be to print out the twelve weeks of the first term and put it in individual folders for my oldest two and highlight what they need to do each day and let them go at their own pace through the twelve weeks and taking my younger two through the grammar stage readings and my third two through Pathways. I just know that trying to get everyone on the same page literally can be tricky and delay things whereas I can usually round up two at a time. We would still all be roughly in the same time period and I am sure some book discussions would happen naturally between the older two and myself.

Any thoughts on this idea?

• Like 1

I also realized that this may solve my problem of being overwhelmed with the activities.  I am not a hands-on person and would prefer that my kids come up with their own projects and I will just furnish supplies.  But I like the idea of them being exposed to the idea of hands-on projects they could do if they wanted to and that way I don't have to buy the materials if no one wants to do it.  Also, it then becomes their idea if it is optional.  Those who feel a need to do hands-on can fulfill that need and those who don't can still learn concepts by reading about how the activity would work.  Also, when one of my older children (usually the oldest as the second one is less hands-on) decides to do an activity and allows the siblings to join in they almost always have a ton of fun whereas if I make everyone sit down and do it I don't always get as great of a result.  Not including activities at all may make me feel guilty but supplying books with possible activities and getting them the supplies they need for the ones they want to do by themselves would not make me feel guilty.....

• 10 months later...