Menu

Cambridge AICE Program experience

Hello, everyone:

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I've been homeschooling 11-year-old ds his whole life, and only recently I've been questioning whether I'm offering him everything I would like for him. I've always liked the IB program, and now I see a new high school opened about an hour away, which is a Cambridge University affiliated school with a Cambridge AICE Program. I'm aware of the benefits of this program, which is comparable to an IB program. I'm considering all my options. 

Do any of you have any experience using this program? Could you please share anything you may have heard? Thanks!

PS: What I like about the IB and the Cambridge programs is the rigor, the standard across many countries, college prep, focus on critical thinking, and international focus. I come from a Dutch education background.

• 2 months later...

I think the Cambridge programs are pretty new in the US so there may not be much experience with them. I was briefly looking into it here in WA state. There are only two schools that offer it - both near Seattle. However, there seem to be a lot in Florida for some reason. On the Cambridge website, you can find a list of schools that offer it in the US for anyone interested in seeing if it's available in your area.

Our local high school offers a Cambridge program for ninth and tenth grades, with 40-50 kids per grade level. My nephew is in this program, which is basically the way to get the highest level courses possible in 9/10 grade (the school offers only two levels of college-prep classes otherwise). This year he is studying Cambridge English, maths, history (world), and earth science. Next year he will have English, maths, and biology.

He had a boatload of summer work to do before the start of ninth grade.

He gets loads and loads of homework.

My sister is happy that he is challenged.

He's only had his history exam (3 parts, all essays of various lengths) so far. I think the others will be closer to traditional finals time.