Menu

High school biology...additional question post #14!

Looking at using the AGS Biology Cycles of Life text book possibly also with the Campbell or Miller Levine for some things for DD's 9th grade Biology for the 2015-2016 school year (DD thinks those last 2 texts look more interesting but they are probably too hard for her as stand alones). We were thinking about getting the DIVE dvds to have video lectures and labs to help her out. I dont want to overwhelm her, though. How much math and advanced science do these cover? Anyone use them? Could they work as a supplement?

ETA:  I seem to be expanding this thread to more than just DIVE so I have amended the title...

I have not seen DIVE in person but over the years I had considered but can't remember why I never took the plunge with my two older kiddos.  Have you looked at the videos on Khan Academy?  They have many options for Biology - both my Khan himself and then ones by CrashCourse that cover biology and ecology - perhaps a combination of those options might work? 

• Like 1

Oh, I hadn't thought about Khan Academy.  I have never looked at anything but the math parts.  Going to check it out.  Thanks!

CrashCourse works well for DS but it is just WAAAAAAY too fast for DD.  She processes spoken words pretty slowly in content material (science, math, etc).  Do they link the CrashCourse you tube videos or is the Khan version different?

You've probably found the videos by now but if not, go under the science tab and you'll see lots of options.  My ds is working through the health one for his HS health credit and watching the Chemistry ones and the Art 101.  He's visual/audio and anything I can find that helps add in more pieces beyond reading is key for him. 

• Like 1

DIVE to me would be an expensive supplement.  You could download the syllabus from their website and examine their online links.

I don't recall math being an issue.

Mom would be helping with the cost but yes, it seems expensive as a supplement.  I was just thinking that for some of the more intense labs, DIVE might be a good option, and DD tends to like someone else teaching her.  I thought if we used DIVE for the lessons that paired well with her textbook, she might be happier and retain more.  The textbook, for those lessons, could be supplemental reading. Does that make sense?  And if I have to travel, she could still have something to watch and learn from even if it is someone else facilitating while I am gone.

But I have been looking at Khan Academy and those seem interesting.  They cover a lot, it seems.  So far it seems that DIVE has actual experiments and Khan just has concept instruction but I have not watched too many Khan videos.  I could be totally wrong.  I really ike Khan, though.  And it is certainly cheaper.  :)

Mom would be helping with the cost but yes, it seems expensive as a supplement.  I was just thinking that for some of the more intense labs, DIVE might be a good option, and DD tends to like someone else teaching her.  I thought if we used DIVE for the lessons that paired well with her textbook, she might be happier and retain more.  The textbook, for those lessons, could be supplemental reading. Does that make sense?  And if I have to travel, she could still have something to watch and learn from even if it is someone else facilitating while I am gone.

But I have been looking at Khan Academy and those seem interesting.  They cover a lot, it seems.  So far it seems that DIVE has actual experiments and Khan just has concept instruction but I have not watched too many Khan videos.  I could be totally wrong.  I really ike Khan, though.  And it is certainly cheaper.   :)

When I have more time, I will look over the labs and tell you whether they seem worth the cost. 

• Like 1

Well, I scanned about three labs including the frog dissection with the CD.  Basically, there is no moving video.  The video is not like MUS or HOE.  The screen will show the lab sheet as if it were on a smartboard with the teacher speaking in the background.  Pictures of slides are used.  The frog dissection was filled with step by step photos.  I was little grossed out because the instructor was bare handing the frog, but that doesn't matter.  Yes, you can get by with DIVE though I would explore videos that go with BJU Biology first.  I think OhE has experience with those.

Thanks Heathermomster.  That's a bit disappointing on not showing an actual dissection.  Are the videos fairly old?

And no, I hadn't seen the free trial for Discovery Education.  I just watched the intro video and thought it looked interesting.  I will check that out tonight.  Thanks.

Let me clarify, there are up close photos of the dissection.  The dissection is broken down with pictures.  You could absolutely dissect a frog with the pictures.  It is not a live studio dissection.

• Like 1

O.k. today in our on-line Marine Science class there was a live dissection of a crustacean.  The kids both got nauseous.  Okaaaay...not looking forward to High School level Biology in my house if the kids are going to be throwing up every time we dissect something.  But maybe DIVE pictures might be less overwhelming.  Anyone else have this issue?

Well, I didn't do the dissecting part and we didn't watch it either.  After reviewing the public high school catalog and their course offerings I noted that they either no longer required dissections or the students watched the teachers.  They offered optional assignments in lieu of dissecting something.  My first two were not STEM candidates nor were they future Physicians or Nurses sooooo they didn't miss much and frankly they've had no problems doing college-level science.  Now the kid who passes out during a blood draw had absoloutely no problems with dissection when he did a science coop and the youngest - hmmm, not sure.  But I do know he's leaning towards the medical field so I may have to cross on to the "ewwww" side and do those labs.  I though ACE had labs on video but they are expensive?  And i thought that the Apologia just had a new entry into some type of video lessons for Biology?  I know the books are probably going to be overwhelming so perhaps not an option but just thinking out loud here as I, too, have to design a BIO credit next year.

• Like 1

Well, DS had no interest in dissections during life science in 7th grade. When biology rolled around, I didn't ask whether he wanted to attend a Landry 2 Day Lab Intensive. I just told him that he was signed up and mentioned a cat (completed by the instructor), frog, and sheep uterus. There were more than that.

DS loves the dissections. He also completes labs once per week in his biology class. The grossest thing he has dissected locally was the crayfish, which surprised me. DS claimed it was colored oddly and stank.

DS came around. I never imagined he would enjoy biology, and yet he does. Your kids may come around.

• Like 1