Menu

Resources for teaching safety from s. predators?

AndyJoy

My son is reaching the age where I'll soon be leaving him with people I don't know closely (AWANA, rec center kid program, etc.). Does anyone have a favorite resource for talking to kids about staying safe from s. predators? We've done the no-one-should-see/touch talk many times but I'd like to see if anyone has a good book picture book or video recommendation. He's almost 5 1/2.

Maybe for you to read and present to a child in your own way, but Child Lures is good. 

For older kids (IMO), books by Gavid de Becker: The Gift of Fear and Protecting the Gift. Actually the last one says it's for children and teens. The second one sounds like a book on purity. It is not. 

ETA: These books and a healthy dose of paranoia helped a mother I know really well to teach her dc about such things. This was tested by a 50 yr old man at a work place, but b/c the teen's mother had taught/preached/lectured about these things all that child's life, the child recognized the slow escalation of being groomed. (Happy ending: Creeper 50 yr old was fired and child was not hurt or molested, just totally creeped out. Said child thanked the paranoid mother for teaching the signs.)

• Like 1

Based on a recent discussion here I ordered the book "My Body is Private". http://www.amazon.com/Private-Albert-Whitman-Prairie-Books/dp/0807553190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425567576&sr=8-1&keywords=my+body+is+private

It hasn't arrived yet, so I don't have personal experience with it, but several hive members recommended it. The comments on Amazon really sold me on it.

• Like 1