Menu

Science???????

TXClassicalMommy

We are pretty new to the whole Classical homeschooling approach. Basically I read the book one day out of the blue and everything started clicking in my head that this was the way to go. We are currently using the recommended for the other subjects but I am very stuck on Science. My children are in K and 3rd grade. I know my 3rd grader should be past the life science and such but he really hasn't had much of that yet. Would it be ok to to start him and my K on the same science and just go from there. It would be soooooo much easier on me if I didn't have to do two science curriculums at once and I worry that he has missed so much of the other anyway. I have no idea what direction to go with science or even what to use. To fill in the void since I don't know what we are going to do, they both have been working their way through The Body Book. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

If you want to combine the 2 grades and work on life science, you may want to take a look at NOEO.

It is Classical, CM. We've been using it this past year doing Biology I with dd6 in gr1. Basically, the child reads the "assigned" pages for each day, does a 2-3 sentence narration about what was learned or interested them the most and illustrates. The level I (biology, chemistry or physics) is recommended for gr.1-3.

It would be very easy to combine both kids into this program and just expect more detailed narrations from your older child. I like that it is CM based and uses a whole-book approach rather than a text book. Some days we use the science book as our read aloud for the day. If the book recommended by NOEO isn't too interesting for your child it is easy to follow the guide while using a book selection of your own from the library.

They do incorporate hands on experiments throughout the year, though not as many as I would have liked for Biology I. I hear Chemistry I has more experiments.

Overall, I like the program. It's easy and dd finds it fun.

I'll add; do keep your two kids in the same science topic, every year. It is SOOOOO much easier on us moms.

Yes, the kids at this age can be doing the same science program too. This is our first year that both my boys are not doing the same science program, or same science topic. Thankfully the older one is taking an online course but I would never do different science programs/topics otherwise.

Also, you don't need a program. Really. If I had the grammar science years to do over I would pick one topic for the year; Life Science or Earth-Space Science or Chemistry or Physics, and get lots of picture books from the library related to the topic, do lots of experiments usinig Janice VanCleave's .....For Every Kid experimental books, include lots of trips to science museums, and hikes through the woods with field guides (every year) and have fun. Oh, yea, that is what we did!

I'll add; do keep your two kids in the same science topic, every year. It is SOOOOO much easier on us moms.

Dd age 6 just offcially joined in on homeschooling last springs. Since then whatever Ds(age 9) is doing, she does right along with him, although she doesn't get near as far into it as he does. I just don't think I could keep from pulling out my hair it I had to do two different sciences at once. The only thing I don't like about having them do the same topic is it seems that all of ds's public school friends have already covered so many topics already and we are only in life sciences right now. We have not even covered Earth science, chemistry, physics and such. Well I take that back we did a tiny bit on space last year and the kids loved it, my dd loves the planets.

I've got my 5th and 2nd grader doing the same thing. Yes I expect more form the 5th grader. We'll do science together next year too and she'll choose. When she's in 7th grade, she'll do Apologia general and ds will get to pick. Older dd is doing Apologia general this year, physical next year and I haven't figured out what for 9th, probably biology.

If you want to go the Life Science route, may I suggest checking your library for the Biology for Every Kit by VanCleave book? Her approach is fun and hands-on - plus the price is right if you use the library.

I would consider attending zoo and nature center clases an integral part of a life science curriculum. Put the kids in front of as many real, live specimens as you can.

Home Science Tools is a great resource for kits and more ideas. I highly recommend that company - they are wonderful to deal with and reasonably prices.

If you want readable science and want Christian content, Abeka's science is geared more to life science in the younger years.

We love BJU science the best! However, it is not strictly life science.

: )

Tami