Menu

Rod & Staff Math Gr 1 for K? Singapore 1A??

mmasc

Has anyone used R&S 1 for their Kindergarten student?  I like a lot of Memoria Press items, and noticed that they use Rod & Staff 1 for K, slowly I guess since they use level 1 for first grade as well.  

I'm currently using CLE 4 for DS9 and CLE 1 for DS6.  It's working well for them, although it is moving a bit fast for my first grader.  Right now though I'm looking at options for my 4.5 year old.  He seems to 'get' math concepts fairly well, so I've been doing some stuff with base ten blocks, unifix cubes, etc.  I have a Singapore Essentials B workbook, and Singapore Primary HIG/textbooks 1A/1B.  Should I just start going through that slowly with him?  Is he too young?  I don't have the workbooks for PM 1A/1B, but he isn't really ready for writing yet anyway.  

I feel like I have all this 'stuff', but don't really know what direction to go.  Any thoughts?

I've looked at MEP and it just doesn't seem like a good fit for some reason.  :confused1:  I also don't think CLE 1 done slowly would work for him either.  I'm all drooly over RightStart, but the price tag isn't very appealing since this is my last DC.  Someone even gave us a brand new Abeka K Math book (I'd never seen Abeka before) and he would probably be able to do the last pages already.  He likes the color though. :)  

Right now, we just kind of do various things when he feels like it, but I'd like some more consistency in the upcoming months.  

Thanks!

I've never used R&S, but I think using Singapore 1A the way you described would be perfect for an interested four-year-old. It will give you a coherent sequence of topics so you don't have to constantly feel like you're reinventing the wheel, but you can take your time, do the exercises orally, and hang out with each topic for as long as you need. 

• Like 1

My DS/4yo will use R&S1 for K this fall. His sisters actually used it for preschool. It sounds like your DS may be beyond it already though. Book 1 gently and thoroughly covers math facts up to 10, with a bit of skip counting, fractions, and such mixed in.

• Like 1

MEP was hit and miss here.  It doesn't have quite enough teacher notes for me or review for the kids.  My kids also experienced some frustration when they couldn't "get" the puzzles.

I used R&S 1 with my son for his K and 1st grade, like MP suggests.  My son also catches on to math concepts easily, but still needs lots of review with facts.  I like R&S for its thorough review, and the way my kids know their facts once going through it.  I also like the way concepts are introduced in it.

I have Singapore first grade, but we never really used it so I can't speak to that option.

I did start a review on R&S math second grade on my blog, but I only have part 1 of my review up now.  I'm planning to get part 2 up today or tomorrow, and that will have more of an insider's look into the program.

• Like 1

I've used R&S first grade with each of my youngest kids for Kindergarten.   With my now 7yods, he did had done the first three light units of CLE math first but then it started moving too fast for him, so I moved him over to R&S 1 since I had it on my shelf and we then did a half a lesson a day for the rest of Kindergarten.  When he began first grade, we moved back into CLE 1 where we had left off and it's been a perfect fit ever since.

My 5yodd started R&S in the fall and we're just doing half a lesson everyday, four days a week so only two lessons a week.  At this point, I'm planning on finishing the year this way, through the summer and then move her over to CLE 1 in the fall.

• Like 1