Menu

Talk to me about math placement

klmama

My dc's future college requires incoming students to take a placement test for math courses.  Dc scored just a few points away from being able to go into a math course required for the desired major.  Now there are two options.  Dc could take the course already tested into and be one of the most-prepared students, then take the required course for the major later.  Or, dc could study and retake the placement test, gain a few points, and take the required course in the fall as one of the least-prepared students.  Am I right in thinking it would be better to take the easier course first to adjust to the requirements of college-level math classes? 

What is his intended major?  If he won't need higher level math, then repeating the course before taking the required course could work.  If he'll need more beyond that, then it may cause scheduling problems.  Another thing to consider is whether he'll get credit for the lower level course and whether it will fulfill any general ed requirements.  Another option would be to take the prerequisite course during this summer.

In general, yes.  We discussed this in the recent calculus thread.

The only time that I would have one of mine study and try to place in the higher class would be if it was going to hold them back from taking the courses they need in their major (i.e. they won't have a prerequisite, so they'll be a semester behind where they'd like to be) or if they're going to be out of sequence with their peers in that major or there will be few choices of sections and professors because they'll be out of sequence.

I'm 95% sure my oldest will place into calculus, but he's talking about an accounting major, so stepping back to pre-calculus isn't a big deal.  His math sequence the first two years will be Pre-Calculus, Applied Calculus I, Business Stats I, and Business Stats II.  Assuming he stays with that plan, he'll then go into the business school with all of his prereqs in place.

Thanks.  This shouldn't cause scheduling problems or change the graduation date.  Most students with the major start with the lower course.  I'm just trying to weigh the wisdom of taking the harder one in the first semester at college when the pace is much faster than in high school. 

It depends on your student.  If you are confident he can rise to the challenge, then perhaps take the higher class.  Otherwise, as a first semester course, I wouldn't risk it. 

I think it would be easier to get caught up over a summer later on than to risk burn out in semester one.  But again, if your child seems ready for all the other challeges the first year of college brings then it might not be a problem. 

I wouldn't risk it.

Frankly, the placement test scores are set to where a certain percentage of the students will fail. They aren't set to "is definitely prepared for this class" because that would hold too many students with a reasonable chance of passing back.

For example, if our stats show "students with a score of x have an 80% chance of passing this class, assuming they show up and try", we would likely let students with this score in. It is hard on the 20% who don't pass, but it is better than keeping the other 80% in a class that they don't need.