Menu

Need help getting started

Guest MoshiMonsters

Guest MoshiMonsters

I'm a total newbie here, so please pardon my basic questions :)

Here is a what would you do question: we are living overseas and have not been happy with the international school situation where we live. We really want to try homeschooling with our oldest (11 in 6th grade). We are thinking about pulling him out now to start homeschooling all of 6th grade over again and work over the summer to be ready for next year. I am thinking since we are new to homeschooling, the best is just to buy a whole curriculum together to make things easier for us. Where should we start? Someone recommended SonLight to me....is that a good system?  

Ds is an avid reader, with a natural ability in math. He gets flustered and distracted easily by rowdy classrooms. He likes clearly explained expectations and assignments. We are a Christian family, but I don't necessarily need a Christian curriculum. We really believe in building a strong core for learning. We do not have much opportunity for joining a homeschool community because of our location (we live in East Africa). 

Ok, with all that said, any advice on where to begin?
Thanks so much in advance!!

Welcome :)

There are lots of good curricula out there, and which one will be the best fit for your family depends on a lot of different factors. One thing to consider is what are your long term plans? If you'll be in your current location for several years--long enough to consider homeschooling a long-term lifestyle--then you should consider them all. If you'll be moving on after a year or two and may want to put your son back into a more traditional school, then you may want to stick with a more traditional curriculum in order to make the transitions less difficult.

For a very traditional, classically-based homeschool curriculum, take a look at Calvert. They're a secular brick and mortar school in Maryland, K-8, I think, with a very good reputation, and they offer homeschool packages that include everything you need for a given grade. I know that several families who are overseas use them short term when they're not happy with the local options but intend to put their kids back in school when they move within a couple of years to a location with better schools.

For a less traditional, literature-based curriculum, Sonlight is generally very well regarded. You can buy a complete curriculum from them, or you can purchase just the history/literature/LA "core" and fill in the rest of the subjects with curricula of your choice.

If you can get hold of a copy of Cathy Duffy's 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum (or maybe the newest edition is 102 Top Picks?), then I recommend that, especially if you're considering homeschooling long term. The first few chapters walk you through figuring out your goals and how to tell what curriculum may best fit you as a teacher and your child as a student. The rest of the book reviews curricula--some single-subject, some multi-subject.

I'm sure there are many people on these boards who would be happy to help you figure it out, but it's difficult to give too many specific suggestions without a whole lot of specific information about your family and your situation. Any more details you can provide would be helpful.

I second the welcome! 

Most of the missionaries I know homeschool. I love Sonlight and think the Middle School Cores, particularly the two world history cores G & H would be a great place to start for a new homeschooling family, living oversees, with an avid reader. That said, there are many, many options. 

If you were in the states, I would tell you to read some books on homeschooling and figure out what your goals and your preferred style of homeschooling is. However, you are going to have to do some internet research instead. Research styles of homeschooling, i.e.: classical, charlotte mason, traditional.

It sounds like your motivation for homeschooling is to provide a quieter atmosphere where your son can concentrate and learn. Also figure out some goals. Are you wanting to try it for a year? Is this a long term commitment? Are you homeschooling toward college? Toward a highly competitive college? 

Once you know what your goals are and what type of homeschool you hope to create, you are ready to look at curriculum. I would encourage you to spend some time on the K-8 board. Read some reviews on Cathy Duffy's site (Note: Cathy Duffy only gives positive reviews. She tries to point out the positives in each program, your task is to figure out which of those fit your family) There are packages like My Father's World or Sonlight which would be great options for a first year. Even with those, you still need to pick math and science curriculums (They have offerings, but they don't write those and you may prefer something else). 

We began homeschooling my oldest in 6th grade, my youngest in 5th. We have never participated in a coop, so the fact that isn't an option for you wouldn't daunt me at all. 

I'd encourage you to do some more reading and researching. As you narrow your curriculum favorites, post here or on the K-8 board and ask why people prefer one over the other. See, not which one is more popular, but which set of reasons match your own reasoning best. For example My Father's World tends to be more popular on these boards than Sonlight because it offers more hands on activities. My kids hated hands on activities  :lol: . That told me that Sonlight was probably a better choice for us, even if it wasn't a better choice for everyone. Also, Sonlight has its own forums. If you get serious about trying it, you might want to go there and hear from people who love it. 

I avoided boxed curriculum like the plague.  I prefer to figure out, "What do I want to use for science?  What do I want to use for math?  What do I want to use for art?" and get different things to fill those needs.  Do you really *want* something that's an all-in-one?  If so, why?  (And it's totally fine to want that, just make sure you know WHY you want it, and that you actually DO want it, don't just default to it because it seems easiest, you know?)

Do you plan to do 6th grade over again because you feel he hasn't mastered it?  I'm just confused why you wouldn't sort of jump in where you are, and keep going.

I spent about 4 weeks using an all in one curriculum before I started doing things my own way - I think it's natural to do that, as we tailor to our children's interests and their aptitudes across all subjects. If you read the Well Trained Mind book, there are specific curriculum suggestions with suggested schedules. Most science/history/language art programs also have tentative schedules listed, so if you are looking for a little hand holding (and I use that term in a very positive sense) you can still get it using a variety of programs. 

Guest MoshiMonsters

Thanks to everyone for the detailed responses!  

I think he is doing well with 6th grade. He has always been a quick learner. However, I feel like I don't really know what he knows because communication at the school is so poor. ALso, he skipped the 4th grade when we moved overseas. He has a thing about being behind because of this (although his teachers have always said otherwise). I feel like it might give him confidence to have the time to review and catch up on anything he has missed.

I lean toward a "box" curriculum because i feel like I don't have the time to figure out separate subjects right now as we want to start pretty soon. ALso, my brother is coming to visit soon, and he could bring everything over with him when he comes. 

As to our future plans, I don't really know. I am open to continuing with homeschooling through middle school. It really depends on if we move back to North America, or stay overseas.

I would start with, what do I want for math? Pick, then do their placement test, then buy.

Then pick language arts. In my mind those are the two most important subjects. If you like the LA from an all-in-one type provider that is fine. Sonlight's weakness is their language arts. If you don't have time to decide on something else to use for LA, I probably wouldn't go with SL. I've heard better things about MFW, but I haven't used it.

There is a good chance your history and language arts will bundle. History at this age is not foundational. Everything he learns will be repeated with more depth later. Pick what you like, what he will enjoy and don't stress about it.

That leaves you with science. SL has science you can go with, or you could run over to the K-8 board (or middle school challenge board) and start reading some science threads. Science at this age is not critical. It is not foundational to what he will do in high school, so you really can't mess this up. 

Based on product sales, I think there are far more homeschoolers out there using boxes than not using boxes. There is nothing wrong with it, especially your first year. Just be ready to change the box rules. I realize that it is hard for you to get supplies and make changes, but know that you hold the rules in your hands. If your box says read this and write that, you can read it out loud or talk through rather than write or skip the book altogether... you are in control. As long as you remember that, you'll be fine!

There is no set 6th grade scope and sequence, so picking a 6th grade package might not review what he has been learning.

If you think this will be long term I'd be looking at what you want to use for grades 7 and up, and then ask what will get the child from where he is at, to ready for the long term curriculum you think you might like.

Are you wanting to TEACH, or are you wanting your child to self-educate as much as possible? If YOU are going to teach, then you need to pick things YOU will like. If the CHILD is going to self-educate, then you need to pick things that match HIS learning style.

HOMEschooling always starts with the HOME. Think about your HOME and find curriculum that matches how your home functions, NOW, not how you WISH it functioned. It's common for people to pick materials that are the most unlike their strengths, background, and the REALITY of their lives. They want the curriculum to fix things.

Is your home nice and tidy? Do you keep a strict schedule? Does EVERYTHING have a time and place? Or do kids have half-finished projects spread out everywhere and get to decide their own bedtime?

I know you are in a rush, with the brother coming soon. But, it's just not that easy. But if you have to grab something, anything, all from one publisher, then I would test and place in Alpha-Omega Lifepacs and use that until you don't want to use it anymore.

https://www.aophomeschooling.com

You are supposed to test into the curriculum, but here is the 6th grade curriculum.

https://www.aophomeschooling.com/lifepac/6th-grade.html

• Like 1

I know you are in a rush, with the brother coming soon. But, it's just not that easy. But if you have to grab something, anything, all from one publisher, then I would test and place in Alpha-Omega Lifepacs and use that until you don't want to use it anymore.

https://www.aophomeschooling.com

You are supposed to test into the curriculum, but here is the 6th grade curriculum.

https://www.aophomeschooling.com/lifepac/6th-grade.html

Shudder.

I agreed with all of Hunter's post previous to these two paragraphs.

• Like 1

Shudder.

I agreed with all of Hunter's post previous to these two paragraphs.

:lol:

I have seen wonderful results with worktexts over the past 3 decades for the families that they work well for. Curricula needs to match the family.

I even recommend ACE Paces to certain families. :D

And Robinson to others.  :w00t:

And then I'll turn right around and discuss Climbing Parnassus with another. 

HOMEschooling starts in the HOME. It needs to match the home.

• Like 2

HOMEschooling starts in the HOME. It needs to match the home.

I totally agree with you, and your previous post about how the OP needs to consider her home, and I would add her lifestyle and goals before making a decision. There are lots of good choices out there. Most of the choices are good for someone or they wouldn't stick around long. The key is finding what is right for you OP. You have to figure out what you want.

If you want a literature based curriculum and you need it in a box, SL has wonderful middle school cores. If you need more hands on, consider MFW. If you just want something that will walk you through, you might consider something that is video based like BJU or Abeka. If your ds is a worksheet/workbook kinda guy there are several work text based curriculums. There is something for everyone out there. I think the key is figuring out who you are!

I do recommend some time spent on the K-8 and middle school boards still. Particularly look through some math threads, and pick a couple of top choices and have him take some placement tests and see if they are still top choices.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you, and your previous post about how the OP needs to consider her home, and I would add her lifestyle and goals before making a decision. There are lots of good choices out there. Most of the choices are good for someone or they wouldn't stick around long. The key is finding what is right for you OP. You have to figure out what you want.

If you want a literature based curriculum and you need it in a box, SL has wonderful middle school cores. If you need more hands on, consider MFW. If you just want something that will walk you through, you might consider something that is video based like BJU or Abeka. If your ds is a worksheet/workbook kinda guy there are several work text based curriculums. There is something for everyone out there. I think the key is figuring out who you are!

I do recommend some time spent on the K-8 and middle school boards still. Particularly look through some math threads, and pick a couple of top choices and have him take some placement tests and see if they are still top choices.

That all takes time, though, and without time to choose, and a request for a single publisher, choices are so much more limited. When making a FAST choice for a student coming STRAIGHT out of brick and mortar, a parent can do far worse than AOP LightUnits for the first couple months, while they have time to think and do more research.

And some people do stick with them. And some families thrive with them. Back in the late 90's my youngest used the OLD CLE lightunits that were lightly edited AOP lightunits. They just were not that bad.

And my neighbor used ACE and they were not that bad either, and every time SHE got pressured into using something better, HER children learned less.  

I have seen some inner-city church basement schools using ACE, that just warm my heart. There is the pastor and a couple moms, with NO idea what they are doing, just jumping in and wouldn't you know those kids all started scoring higher than THEY did at the local PS. No, those kids did not score higher than the private school kids using Abeka in the next town over, but they scored higher than THEIR neighborhood PEERS, and higher than they had previously tested, and as high as it was possible for them to test in THEIR world.

I tried to post a link to Prepare and Pray to REALLY give you something to be shocked about, but the website is being revamped. Yes, I have recommended Prepare and pray a couple times.  :leaving:

I'm an pre-Y2K oldschooler. And I'm just getting old in general. I'm going to say stuff that you whippersnappers are going to find incomprehensible and downright insane. :biggrinjester:  It makes the forum more fun, though. :D It gets people blood moving.

Coming in a little late here.  I agree with you that a boxed curriculum would give you structure.  It might also frustrate a very bright child.  Is he comfortable with workbooks?  Some boxed options will use a lot of workbooks.  Is he very creative or does he have a particular interest?

The Veritas Press 4th grade self-paced online history would be unfamiliar material for him most likely, as it covers the Middle Ages. My dd, also bright and distractible (she actually has a formal label), LOVED the VP self-paced history.  It can work out fabulously well for these kids and it gives them variety from the old read/workbook, read/workbook routine. VP sells complete lesson plans when you buy the materials through them.  It would be christian, rigorous, and structured.  

Math is the hardest thing for people to choose, so I suggest you not go simply with whatever but really take your time, do placement tests, and look at all the options.  

There are lots of right answers for how you could approach this.  Go with your gut.  :)